Hello and welcome to this review on US Reel Mowers where we will review and display 10 of the Best Reel Lawn Mowers which are currently available in the US market at present.
If you are considering buying a Reel mower, then please check out the list of Reel mowers below as the objective here is to help you make an easy decision for you to choose the one which suits you and your own lawn the best. Reel Mowers are very handy inexpensive garden tools that can be used to mow the lawn in an environmentally friendly manner unlike the gas mowers which are used across so many locations at present.
Reel mowers come in different shapes, sizes technicalities and features. Most of us are not aware of the different types of reel mowers as well as their different functionalities that they come with so please check out the features, pros and cons for each model below before you decide to buy. Before we display 10 of the best Reel mowers, check out some useful tips that may come in handy outlined below…
- If necessary, take the mower to your local dealer to have the cutting blades sharpened
- Lubricate the cutting blades on a frequent basis to avoid oxidation effects
- Clean the mower after each use with a hand brush and a soft cloth to extend the shelf-life
- Do not use water - especially no high-pressure sprays as this will damage it
- Remove compacted grass from the blade area with a wooden or plastic implement
- Regularly check for loose or damaged nuts, screws, bolts or cutting blades.
- Thoroughly inspect the area where the mower is to be used and remove all hard objects which could be caught up and thrown by the cutting blades
- Always wear long trousers when mowing to protect your legs
- Do not operate the mower when barefoot or wearing open sandals – always wear some form of footwear
- Replace any damaged or worn parts and always ensure that the mower is in good working condition.
- Keep all nuts, bolts and screws locked tight.
Check out the size and type of lawn you have – if you have a large acre size lot and its quite hilly or uneven, then you should start to look beyond reel mowers as they will take far too long to get completed. Ideally your lawn should be quite small and flat and free of heavy debris and weeds. For owners of small lawns which are flat in nature and lack unwanted weeds, then a push mower is the appropriate choice for you. But otherwise if you have a hilly yard filled with lots of weeds which prevents the push reel mower from cutting, then you are better off as mentioned earlier at looking beyond a reel mower. At the end of this list, there is also a summary chart that you should check out if you are still undecided which Reel Mower will work best for you…
- Store the mower indoors in a dry place
- Do not place other objects on top of the mower when stored
- While putting away your mower after use, keep in a safe place and cover the blades so that children or animals cannot get in contact with it.
- Make sure all fasteners and bolts are tightened for your next mow.
10 of the Best US Reel Mowers:
1, American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Wide 4-Blade Reel Lawn Mower
- This American lawn mower has a 14 inch cutting deck which helps you to get the cutting reel spinning very fast, helping you to save time for your other activities
- This mower is very ideal for most turf grasses which means you won't have to worry when it comes to choice because it works on all turfs
- Clean, precise, scissor-like cut; the mower gives you clean, precise, scissor-like cut which helps in saving time because you won't have to mow over and over again
- Steel construction; the mower has a cutting blade made of durable alloy steel for longer life helping you to save money for the future
- The American lawn mower 1204-14 is made up of 8.5 inch polymer wheels making it easy for you to turn the mower in to different directions easily
Frequently asked questions
- Question: Do the blades need to be sharpened and how often?
- Answer: The blades will last for a long time and it is suggested that they be sharpened at the start of each season if needed.
- Question: Does it cut grass with tall weeds (such as dandelions) or would it jam?
- Answer: The first time you mow taller grass it may be difficult. Just make sure you mow at least once per week and you should be OK. If the grass is too tall you may need to rent a power mower the first time. After that is should be easy as long as you mow once a week.
- This American Lawn Mower is sufficiently light, weighing so little that anybody can handle it very easily, regardless of age, strength or body type.
- This yard mower was outlined specifically with cool season turf grasses like Kentucky twang, Fine Fescues and rye. If you live in a region like the Midwest or Northeast, where these types of grass are common, this is an awesome mower for your yard.
- It has a 3 spider reel intended to enable you to get the cutting reel turning rapidly with only a slow push. That implies you won't need to stress yourself too much before getting a beautiful, scissors like cut for your grass.
- The cutting edge is produced from steel combination, so you won't need to sharpen it as frequently as you may think. The wheels are intended to be solid so that the mower can face uneven zones in your yard.
- This mower will help you to save a lot of cash because you won't have to spend any money on gas or maintenance and it is available for sale at a competitive price.
- Mower performs poorly with harder grasses
- Struggles with damp or wet grass so you need to wait until it is dry.
2, Great States Reel Mower 415-16
- The Great States 415-16 is a manual reel mower has a 16 inch cutting deck making it much easier to spin quickly with a simple push
- It comes with a 10-inch ball bearing wheels which are very solid enabling you to move around sturdy and hilly places around your yard without having to worry enabling you to mow very fast
- This mower has 3 Height Positions of 1/2 an inch and 2 3/4 inches, which is a fairly good range for most therefore relieving the stress of having to bend down every time you want to use a reel mower
- This manual reel mower is Anti-dust which means you won't have to worry about treatment of dust
- It has Heat treated blades for long lasting quality cut which means you won't spend excess time sharpening your blade
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: For lawns that are a little sloped and the ground is a little bumpy Will this mower work well with that kind of lawn?
- Answer: The slope should be no problem. As for bumpiness, lawns that are slightly bumpy should be okay as they can perform as good as other mowers.
- Question: Do the push reel mowers cut all types of grass well or are some grasses more difficult?
- Answer: When purchasing a reel mower it’s good to know that depending on how many blades you have will determine how thick grass you can cut but it should range from around 4 - 7 blades.
- It will help you to get more proficiency that will enable you to complete the activity all the more rapidly.
- Since the sharp edges are made of warmth treated steel, they will last longer.
- It is fast and easy to use, giving you a superior, cleaner cut and is better for your garden's general wellbeing.
- Requires you to pass multiple times in order to cut thick grass
- May not cut thick weeds or harder grass effectively
3, Greenworks 18-Inch Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher 25062
- The Greenworks 25062 is a manual reel mower has 18 inch cutting deck making it one of the widest reel mowers nowadays. It has small and quite easy to store in your car or garage giving you enough room to store other equipment and in return saving space for future purposes
- This mower is made up of 5 durable blades making it easy for you to cut grass faster without having to worry about thick grass
- It is made up of an adjustable grass catcher which is easily included when you purchase making it easier for you to mow a small lawn without having to empty it
- It has a 10-inch large wheels and a 6 inch rear wheels which are solid making it easy for you to manoeuvre on hilly and stony lawns easily without stress
- It has a height adjustment from 1.25 – 2.25 inches in which you can easily switch to your preferred height
Frequently Asked questions
- Question: How do you sharpen the blades and how often should you sharpen?
- Answer: Get a sharpening stone and sharpen with one to two passes of the stone as needed using gloves for hand protection. You can also sharpen immediately after each use
- Question: How complicated is it to adjust the mowing height
- Answer: It's a simple adjust like a conventional push mower
- The Greenworks 25062 weighs just 37 pounds, which influences it to be sufficiently light that pretty much anybody will have the capacity to move it around their yard without difficulty, paying little respect to their age or body structure.
- A more extensive cutting reel implies you will have the capacity to wrap up your grass in no time. The cutting reel has five strong soak sharp edges that will deliver you a clean cut.
- A back grass catcher is advantageously included with the Greenworks 25062, so if you like to gather your grass clippings for later fertilization or transfer, you have that alternative.
- The grass catcher is to some degree quite small and tends to top off with grass clippings rather rapidly.
- Performs moderately with taller grass
4, Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
- The Scotts 2000-20 is a manual reel lawn mower having a 20 inch cutting deck making it one the widest manual reel mowers available in the US Market helping you to save time and money.
- It has a 10-inch dual tracking wheels with radial tires for better traction, with the availability of two 6 inch rear wheels designed to reduce the way you drag and move the reel mower helping you to save time
- The Scotts 2000-20 has 9 height positions from 1-3 inches which is easily adjusted using convenient one-touch adjuster enabling those with smaller heights to conveniently use the tool
- The Scotts 2000-20 has 5 Heat-treated steel blades which provides you with cleaner and faster cuts with only a little effort
- It has a weight of 34 lbs which is heavier on the ground and provides you with more grip for easy use.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Would this be too tall and heavy for a small young lady to use?
- Answer: No, this Reel mower is very user friendly
- Question: How would it do in higher grass and overgrown weeds?
- Answer: It would perform poorly and would take a lot of time and effort. You will need to mow a every week and keep the grass from getting too tall.
- A more extensive cutting reel enables you to wrap up your garden in less passes, which implies less time spent on yard tasks and more time spent with your family.
- Very easy to operate and handle
- It has an interesting wheel outline that is worked to give the mower greater mobility on harsh landscape or in thick grass.
- The cutting framework may require frequent sharpening
- It gets difficult to cut near walls or corners
5, Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower
- The Fiskars 6201 Staysharp Max has a 17 inch cutting deck which makes it one of the one of the wider reel mowers in the US market today and this makes it easy for people in the US to easily afford it
- The Fiskars 6201 has a Staysharp technology which is designed to trim grass without the blades touching, so that you would not waste your time sharpening blades often thereby helping you reduce cost because will not have to spend a penny on gas or electric to power this mower.
- It is 30% easier to use and has a unique wheel design enabling you to trim through edges faster, helping you to save more time to stay with your loved ones
- It comes with a chute which discharges grass away from your feet helping you to be clean before and after mowing your lawn
- The Fiskars 6201 has 4 Height positions between 1-4 inches which is adjusted which just an easy slide. The blade height can easily be adjusted to deal with grasses of different heights
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Does it take long to assemble this?
- Answer: You should have it fully assembled in a matter of minutes
- Question: How well would this mower work with slightly uneven ground?
- Answer: As long as there aren't large holes it should perform satisfactorily
- You will have the capacity to get a near side edging around obstacles, so you won't need to invest as much energy trimming and edging your grass after you are done mowing it.
- The mower is 60% less demanding to push due to its unique Inertia Drive that is intended to make pushing the mower a considerable measure less demanding.
- It is dirt free and helps to keep your shoes and jeans clean while you are cutting the grass.
- You may find that a 52 pound manual mower is still a bit too overwhelming to work.
- It may not cut thicker grass well on the first pass
6, Sun Joe MJ501M Mow Joe 18-Inch Manual Reel Mower
- The Sun Joe MJ501M Mower is a Reel Mower that comes with a Catcher. It has an 18 inch cutting deck making it a fairly wide mower available in the US market. It's 18 inch cutting is provides enough room to trim grass with fewer passes
- The sun joe mower has a 9 position manual height adjustment which can easily be adjusted to your preferred cutting height making it easy for you to cut taller grass.
- This mower requires low maintenance, all you have to do is just mow your lawn and forget about maintenance, this in turn helps you save cost of maintenance
- The Sun Joe MJ501M Mower has 6.6. gallon grass catcher enabling you to accumulate a large amount of grass, the catcher keeps grass away from your lawn therefore helping in keeping your lawn clean
- It weighs about 25 lbs making it easy for people of all ages to use without stressing
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: I have St. Augustine grass, can it work for that thicker type of grass?
- Answer: Yes, it can cut a different variety of grass in each separate area and the reel mower does especially well in the areas with thicker grass like St. Augustine.
- Question: Does the grass catcher work well? Or does it fall off easily?
- Answer: The grass catcher doesn't fall off, but it could be attached better.
- It is simple to store because of its smaller size, putting away the Mow Joe MJ501M is simple, regardless of whether you have a little carport or shed. It doesn't assume control over your valuable, restricted space or upset your authoritative style.
- It offers Zero maintenance, which means other than simply checking the cutting edges for rust once in a while, you don't need to do anything with it other than cut your garden and let it sit in your garage.
- It is so natural and simple to use. It measures 30 pounds and is sufficiently light for everyone. There's no engine to stress over you just have to simply push and go.
- An issue with the Mow Joe is that it doesn't cut anything extremely well other than soft grass. Extreme grasses like bermuda, or yards with loads of weeds and sticks will be an issue.
- Works well only with small lawns
7, Remington RM3100 18-Inch Reel Push Mower
- This reel mower has a 5 blade reel and is height adjustable to give you some flexibility when dealing with longer grasses and it also has 10 inch wheels at the front with 6 inch wheels at the back.
- The Remington also has an 18 inch cutting deck (16 inch cut path) which makes it ideal for light duty work and getting more cut on each time you pass.
- The mow heights that you can work to are 0.75 inches to 2.5 inches and there is also a 2 year warranty which gives additional security if you decide to buy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Question: Is the Rear grass catcher included?
- Answer: Yes, the Rear grass catcher is included.
- Question: Can the mow heights be changed?
- Answer: Yes, there is a lever to adjust the height to suit your needs
- Again, this is an environmentally friendly alternative when compared to gas mowers
- Provides an excellent workout for you and builds you upper body strength as well as burning tons of calories.
- If needed, an additional blade sharpener kit is available to buy at a low price to keep it in peak condition
- The rear grass catcher is a major plus when you compare against many other reel models.
- If you need to work off a smaller budget when compared to electric or gas mowers, this will work out the best for you and as the warranty is 2 years, you have peace of mind with a purchase.
- Not suitable for heavy duty work
- Rear grass catcher tends to fill up quite quickly so frequent emptying is required on your end.
- Cut path of 16 inches is less when compared to wider reel mowers
8, Earthwise 1715-16EW 16 Inch Wide, 7 Blade Push Reel Mower
- The Earthwise reel mower has a 16 Inch Cutting Width which is wide enough to cut any grass, thereby ensuring that you will mow faster, saving time and electricity money
- Earthwise 1715-16EW has a Cutting Height Adjustment from 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch which means you can easily switch to your preferred height. Also it enables you to cut taller grass without stress
- This mower possesses an Unbreakable Steel Side Plate - Tempered Alloy Steel Reel & Bed Knife Blade which is very solid and can cut through any grass in no time
- It has 7 Blade Reels which a ensures faster and cleaner cuts meaning you won't have to waste time tidying up after cleaning
- It's 10-in front wheels and 6-in rear tracking wheels provide improved maneuverability for easy movement in and around your lawn
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Will this model also cut when pulled backward?
- Answer: No, this reel mower will only mow in forward motion
- Question: Will this model work for mixture of creeping and standing grasses? Need to mow at 1/2" height for tee area of a golf driving range
- Answer: This model works very well mowing bentgrass and Kentucky bluegrass or a combination of both at half inch
- The Earthwise 16-in reel lawn mower is good for the environment and provides good exercise for you while mowing
- It is Simple to store because of its smaller size, putting it away is simple, regardless of whether you have a little carport or shed. It doesn't assume control over your valuable, restricted space or upset your authoritative style.
- It has a very competitive price compared to others giving room for many people in the US to afford it
- There are different width models available – 14 inch, 16 inch, 18 inch and 20 inch
- It just doesn't cut all of the blades of grass, leaving several still sticking up and making it appear unfinished.
- It doesn't work when pulled backwards
9, Fiskars 17" StaySharp Reel Lawn Mower 362080
- The price of this reel mower is higher than the standard reel mower but will give you 50% more cutting power when trying to get through the likes of taller grasses and weeds.
- In addition, this Fiskars reel mower has the Staysharp system with tough steel blades and a reduced blade friction which prevents the blades from wearing so you don’t have to worry about getting the blades sharpened as often which is one less headache for you to worry about.
- The additional power that this Reel mower will give you means that it won’t get jammed as often as many other reel mower models and can handle tough varities like Bahia, Bermuda and St. Augustine.
- Cutting deck is 17 inches wide and it can cut your grass from 1.5 inches high to 3.5 inches high.
- The dimensions of the wheels are 10 inches at the front and 5 inches at the rear.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Question: Can the mow heights be adjusted with this model?
- Answer: Yes, it can be adjusted to 7 different heights
- Question: Is it easy to assemble?
- Answer: Yes, the assembly process will only take 5 minutes and is clearly illustrated
- Question: Is there a rear grass catcher available to buy separately?
- Answer: No, you need to buy the Staysharp Max model instead.
- This reel mower will provide a lot more power especially when it comes to tackling weeds and heavier grasses
- Again, this is an environmentally friendly alternative when compared to gas mowers and you can save money as there are no gas / oil costs.
- Having the Staysharp system is a major bonus for you so you don’t have to worry about sharpening the blades year in year out.
- Reel mowers don’t perform as well as gas or electric mowers but the strength associated to this model will come very close indeed.
- Price is on the high side when you compare to other reel mower options but then again it won’t get jammed regularly like other reel mowers and it does give you that extra power.
- No rear grass catcher is included for this model
10, Scotts 415-16S 16-Inch Elite Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Unbreakable, heat-treated, tempered alloy steel blades won't need frequent sharpening therefore saving you the cost of buying a sharpener
- 10″ Composite Wheels with radial tread tires which are very solid enabling you to move around sturdy and hilly places around your yard without having to worry enabling you to mow very fast.
- The wheels have 5 adjustable positions to help facilitate your work.
- It has an easy height adjustment 1/2″ to 2 1/2″ which means you can easily switch to your preferred height. Also, it enables you to cut taller grass without stress
- It has an assembled dimension: 18 in. W x 14 in. D x 48 in. H which won't take up much space in your garage due to its small size, helping you save space to store other tools.
- It has a Cushioned Flair Style Handle providing you with comfortable grips for easier and stress free usage helping you to mow faster thereby saving time to do other activities.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Do they make a grass catcher for this model 415-16??
- Answer: Not that I know Of, I know they do for the 20”
- Question: Does it cut forwards and backwards?
- Answer: No, only forwards
- Very lightweight and easy to move around, store or carry making it pretty much easy for anybody will have the capacity to move it around their yard without difficulty, paying little respect to their age or body structure.
- This fast reel will give you a superior, cleaner cut and is better for your garden's general wellbeing.
- With this mower your cost of maintenance will reduce because you won't spend a dim on gas and other expenses.
- It takes 10 min. to do the job, this mower does the job good
- It lacks a grass catcher
- It lacks the power associated to some of the models mentioned above
A quick summary chart is also outlined below:
|Model||Mow width||Cutting heights||Rating|
|American lawn mower 1204-14||14 Inch||0.5 to 1.5 Inch||5|
|Great States Reel Mower 415-16||16 Inch||1/2- to 2-3/4-Inch||5|
|Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower||18 Inch||1 to 4 Inch||5|
|Remington 15A-3000783||16 Inch||3/4 to 2-1/2 inch||4|
|Earthwise 1715-16EW push Reel Mower||16 Inch||1/2 to 2 1/2 Inch||4|
|Scotts 415-16S||16 Inch||1/2- to 2 1/2-Inch||4|
|Fiskars 17 inch Reel Mower||17 Inch||1.5 to 3.5 Inch||4|
|Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower||18 Inch||1 3/4 to 2 3/4 Inch||5|
|Scotts 2000-20||20 Inch||1 to 3 Inch||4|
|Sun Joe MJ501M Manual Reel Mower||18 Inch||1.4 to 2.5 Inch||4|
I am happy to say that the list of the top 10 Reel mowers in the US have been completely analyzed, giving you all the aspects that you need to be aware of before you buy. I hope those of you in the US found this list of the top ten Reel Mowers in the US helpful.
Please take your time to analyze patiently and eliminate the models which aren't clearly what you want so that it will be easier to get the one which suits you best. If you believe a model is left out, please let me know by leaving a comment in the box below stating your nominated reel mower and the reasons why it should be included and I will certainly take it into consideration.
Finally – many thanks for taking the time to visit and best of luck to you.