Hello and welcome to this review on the Best Gas Push Lawn mowers that are available to order in the US marketplace at present. There are several types of mowers, each suitable for a particular scale and purpose. The smaller types of gas mowers are really for smaller residential lawns and gardens while the larger gas mowers can handle much larger lots.
The only thing though will be the length of time you have on your side to spend mowing your lawn. Lawnmowers are widely used on all sports grounds also as well as parks but we shall focus on mowers for residential purposes for this review. Lawnmowers specifications have certainly improved and they are getting better and better as times goes by and it certainly is a lot more efficient than the domesticated grazing of animals in the past!
Lawn mowers are widely used to cut grasses of all types and it can also be used for cutting small plants and wiping out weeds and also used for trimming grasses of playgrounds and sports grounds. Before you buy a lawnmower, please take a detailed look through the specifications below and also the pros and cons for each which will help you choose the best mower for you and your lawn.
Please also consider if you can handle a push mower or if indeed a self-propelled mower would be a better alternative to help you on those steep hills if you have them. Please also consider the type of mower, the level of budget you have to spend, the brand and the availability of parts if needed down the road from your local hardware provider.
- Analysing your Lawn - If you want to buy a lawnmower so it must need to know about the size of your yard. The size a lawn is important to know because of its works well. Before you buy a lawnmower measure the width and length of your yard to see if an average 20 inch or 21 inch mower will cover it
- Choosing lawnmower Type - There are many types of mowers available in the market but you choose only one according to your need. Firstly, to collect all information about your yard then choose any mower for your lawn required and if you can run and work with it. After you pick up any mower.
- Trusted Brand - There are several types of lawn mowers brand and most offer many different packages and lawnmower, and there is not much difference in it. Some lawnmower facility places only work with convinced brands so prefer the native area and make sure you will become help or to go when you need any work or repairing on your mower.
- Cost - It very important thing that you make your budget before buying a mower because most mowers can be very costly. So, you plan your budget in mind after that going to purchase it.
- Select a manual Reel mower or electric mower for very small lawns - To work perfect and get a good shape to your lawn then you know about the working of all mowers. So, if you have a small and flat lawn then you should choose a manual reel mower or a corded electric. These mowers are fully manually powered and leave clipping distributed around the lawn or can be gathered in the rear grass catchers
- Choose a gas mower for Half acre area of yard - If your lawn area is half acre or more, then the gas mower is the best option for you. You can choose push or self-propelled option. If you choose self-propelled gas-powered mower then it’s perfect for hills because they push themselves to forward letting you use physical and muscles power. These mowers required the regular oil changes, tune-ups and it is noisier than electric mowers.
Best Gas Push Mowers Selection (in no particular order)
1, Murray 20" 125cc Gas-Powered (Side-Discharged) Push Lawn Mower
- This push mower from Murray has a Briggs and Stratton 300 series engine which will give you plenty of power that you need to get through heavy thick and tall grass and it has a 4.5 gross torque for you needs.
- It has a fairly wide cutting deck of 20 inches (though not the widest on the market) that means that you can still cover a lot of area with each time you pass around the lawn.
- There is a lot of flexibility with the height when mowing as it provides you with 5 different heights adjustments and the mow heights can range from 0.99 inches up as far as 3.17 inches.
- The wheels are quite low at 7 inches so it is more suited for you if you have flat terrain.
- Please be aware that there is only a side discharge available for this model (no rear discharge) which may turn you off but one of the main attractions is the low price it can be sold at.
Q. What is the width of the deck?
A. The width of the deck for this particular model is 20 inches
Q. How many heights can it change to?
A. It can be changed to 5 different height levels
Q. What is the lowest height for mowing:
A. The lowest level is 0.99 inches
Q. Is a grass rear catcher included?
A. No, there is no rear grass catcher included
Pros / Advantages: Cutting deck at 20 inches gives you a lot of work done each time you pass - Lots of height adjustments are available depending so you can tailor it to suit the height and thickness of your grass - Very attractive price point for what you are getting - Easy to use start lever so that you can starting mowing straight away - 2 year warranty is included
Cons / Disadvantages: Really only suitable for small to medium size lawn and not for larger lawns - No rear grass catcher is included but the lower price point makes up for it
2, Poulan Pro 20 inch 125cc Gas Powered (Side-Discharged) Push Lawn Mower
- The Poulan Pro 20 inch push gas mower is definitely one of the favourite options in the market and this model has the 450e 125cc engine to provide lots of power to get the tough work done for you and make your lawn looking attractive and completed to your satisfaction.
- It can even take heavier of that heavier, thicker and taller grass though a second pass may be needed to get it completely cleared.
- There is a great amount of mow height flexibility here also as it provides 5 different heights for you and the range of the mow heights starts at 1 inch and ends at 3.5 inches
- If you need to stop this mower quickly, it has an excellent front bar which can be adjusted easily to stop it in the case of any emergency that may come up.
- Please be aware that only the side discharge is included and there is no rear grass catcher which means that you don’t have to waste time emptying it all the time.
- Ideally, this mower is an option for you if you have a small to medium sized lawn that has a fairly flat terrain and will give you 4.5 foot Ibs gross torque to make your job a hell of lot easier.
- One last thing is that this model is quite easy to assemble so at least then that is one less thing for you to worry about
Q. What are the wheel sizes?
A. The wheels are 7 inches at the front and rear.
Q. Is the rear catcher included?
A. No, there is no rear grass catcher included
Q. What is the width of the deck?
A. The width of the deck is 20 inches
Q. What is the highest mow height?
A. The highest level is 3.5 inches
Pros / Advantages: A superior 450e engine when compared to other models across the market - Generally, it starts on a single pull cord so you don’t have to exert yourself all that much - The front bar also allows you to stop very quickly if you need to - A 2 year warranty is included for you also for added security
Cons / Disadvantages: No rear grass catcher is included for you and there is only the side discharge but then again is matched with the appropriate lower price tag
3, Murray 21" Mulching Push Mower with Side Discharge
- This Murray Mower model is a much larger and stronger version but will come will a higher price tag which is definitely worth it if you have a little extra to spend. This model has the 140cc 500e series Briggs and Stratton engine which is much stronger than the previous lower priced version 125cc 300 series mower
- The Murray model also is inch wider so it has a 21 inch cutting deck which can save you some additional time as it means a lesser number of passes are needed on your end.
- There are further mow heights adjustments available to you also as you can use 6 separate levels depending on your own particular set of requirements
- Please be aware that there is no grass catcher included and that there is a side discharge only for this model and it also has an easy to pull start cord which can get you going and mowing quickly.
- Furthermore, you also get the 2 year warranty which can give you additional peace of mind if you decide to buy.
Q. What is the width of the deck?
A. The width of the deck is 21 inches
Q. What are the sizes of the wheels?
A. The front wheels are 7 inches and the rear wheels are slightly larger at 8 inches
Q. Is there a warranty available?
A. Yes, it has a 2 year warranty
Pros / Advantages: A higher spec lawn mower that can give you that additional power you need for thicker and taller grasses - You have 6 different mow heights to choose from – you have the 2 year warranty for additional security
Cons / Disadvantages: There is no rear catcher at the back of this mower
4, Remington 21" Gas Push Mower with Kohler Engine
- The Remington gas push mower has all you need and more for tackling small to medium size lawns as it provides you with a stronger and premium 173cc Kohler XT 755 engine so it will help you in an amazing way to rip through tough and thick grass in a quick and easy fashion.
- This mower can provide you with a mulching facility and also there is the rear grass catcher at the rear so you can have a nice clean looking lawn after you have finished mowing.
- If you have tall grass, you can start at the highest 6 level mowing setting and then work your way down until you have it to your desired level.
- The wheels are 7 inches at the front and 8 inches at the back to allow you to get around those tighter spots
- It also includes the 2 year warranty to give you a great sense of security if you decide to buy.
Q. Is there a mulching ability for this Remington model?
A. Yes, this model has the ability to mulch
Q. What type of engine is used here?
A. It has the Kohler 173cc XT 775 engine
Q. Is the rear grass catcher included?
A. Yes, the rear bag for catching grass is included.
Pros / Advantages: It allows you to adjust the mow height to 6 different levels - This is a more expensive premium end mower but has the mulching capacity and the rear bag included is an added bonus providing a lot more flexibility to suit your own individual needs - Backed with a 2 year warranty
Cons / Disadvantages: It is not self propelled so you need to do all the pushing especially if you have hilly terrain – Requires frequent emptying of the grass catcher so you will lose time mowing the lawn
5, MTD Products 11A-B2BM766 3-In-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower, High-Wheel, 140cc Engine, 21 inch
- This is a Troy Bilt 3 in 1 mower push gas mower that provides a lot of functionality for all you mowing needs and is certainly a favorite among many mowers alike in the market place. One thing that stands out is the 3 in 1 feature and also the high wheels at the back which are 11 inches which is perfect for hilly or rough terrain.
- The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 140cc 550ex series engine so it will provide you with great power to tackle those tougher jobs you may have to complete.
- As it is a 3 in 1 mower, you can either side discharge, mulch or even use the rear discharge with the grass catcher so you have fantastic flexibility depending on your own particular set of requirements.
- There is also the dual lever adjustor for changing the height levels, the dimensions are 36.75 by 24 by 17.75 inches and the weight of this model is 74 Ibs
Q. What is the width of the cutting deck?
A. The width of the cutting deck is 21 inches
Q. Is their oil included in the delivery?
A. Yes, there is oil to get you started
Q. What are the size of the wheels?
A. The wheels are 7 inches at the front and 11 inches at the back
Pros / Advantages: Getting free oil with the delivery provides a great way to get started straight away - Comes fully assembled with only a little level of work on your end to get going - The 3 in 1 ability gives you a lot more options depends on how you want to get your lawn mowed
Cons / Disadvantages: The price tends to be a little on the higher side but then again you are paying for a higher spec 3 in 1 mower that can side discharge, mulch and also catch grass at the rear.
A summary table is also outlined below…
|Model||Deck width||Engine||Mow heights|
|Murray 20 inch 961140030||20 inch||125cc, 300 series||0.99 to 3.17 inches|
|Poulan Pro 961120130||20 inch||125cc, 450e series||1 to 3.5 inches|
|Murray 21 inch 11A-A0BF758||21 inch||140cc, 500e series||1 to 3.5 inches|
|Remington 21 inch 11A-A1KB783||21 inch||173cc, XT 755 series||1 to 3.5 inches|
|Mtd Mower 11A-B2BM766||21 inch||140cc, 550ex series||1 to 3.5 inches|
So that wraps up this short selection of some of the best push gas mowers that are available to buy at present. If you would prefer to look at some of the best electric or reel mowers instead, then feel free to take a look at other reviews as follows:
- Best Corded Electric Mowers – Take a look here
- Best Cordless Electric Mowers – Take a look here
- Best Reel Mowers – Take a look here
In addition, some of the lower priced Gas mowers that I saw which are available from Amazon are outlined below that may be of interest to you also. Click any image below to compare prices further or check stock availability at Amazon…
Finally, I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit and I hope this review has helped you out in some way.
Please also share your experiences with Gas Mowers by leaving a comment in the comment box section below