Hello and welcome to this review on the Best Petrol or Gas powered lawn mowers in the UK – due to its various advantages this type of lawn mowers are preferred by most of the homeowners. We shall outline some of the best push mowers and also some of the best self propelled petrol mowers in 2 sections below.
With this mower every nook and corner of the lawn can be reached which cannot be reached with ride-on lawn mower or lawn tractor. Whether the lawn is potted or down hill does not matter. Since the mower remains in your control, getting to the tight spots poses no problem at all. The petrol mowers have throttle control so that the speed of the blades can be controlled, you just have to press or ease the control to change the speed of the blades.
The advantage of choosing petrol powered lawn mower over other types of lawn mowers is that there are many benefits in its favour. First of all there is no danger of running over an electrical cord by chance or tripping over it as with the electric powered mowers.
There is no worry of battery running out midway like the battery operated mowers; the worst part is that you will encounter a run down mower whenever you want to mow the lawn which generally happens with the battery operated one and most often you forget to charge the batteries after use.
Helpful Tips to consider before you buy
- Even buying one of the many cheap petrol lawn mowers that are available is a major purchase and getting the wrong one for your lawn can end up being a costly mistake. How does the lawn mower move across the lawn? Is it Push Powered - which is a nice way of saying that you do the hard work. Or, is it Self-Propelled? A petrol lawn mower that is Self-Propelled sees the engine connected to a the rear wheels (or roller) which drives them forward at an easy-going speed - without any need for you to push yourself.
- Naturally, a Self-Propelled petrol lawn mower requires more engine power than a Push Powered mower. Has the lawn mower got a Rear Roller or not? Whether it's self-propelled or not, a Rear Roller will neatly flatten the grass once the cutting blades have down their work and contributes towards creating that classic striped lawn.
- The Cutting Width describes the size of the blade and consequently the width of grass that will be cut in one rotation. The greater the width, the more grass will be cut at any one time. There is a price for this though, a wider Cutting Width means the mower is having to do more work and so a larger engine is usually required. The height to which you can cut the grass on your lawn is one of the important settings on a lawnmower.
- Cutting to just one height at all times and on all lawns isn't necessarily the best thing to do if you want a healthy lawn. The more Height Settings that are available the more precision in the cut you will have and the more control you will have over your lawn.
- The size of the collection box that captures your clippings. The larger the grass box your petrol lawn mower has the more grass can be cut before you need to stop and empty it. Ideally, and depending on how often you cut your grass, a larger grass box is needed the larger your lawn. A larger collection capacity means you could avoid having to stop half way through your mowing to empty, so try and buy a mower with a grass box suited to the size of the lawn you will be cutting.
- Finally, we come to the engine. Is more power always best? In a nutshell, yes. The power an engine has the better the cutting blades will cut, certainly with longer grass. In addition, consider the Cutting Width of your mower - the more the blades need to cut in one rotation, the more power will be needed.
- The more resistance against the blades the more strain on the engine and you'll want more grunt to call upon. Also, if you're looking at a Self-Propelled petrol lawn mower, the engine will also drive the back wheels and so will need a bit more power than a standard Push Powered mower.
Best UK Petrol Lawnmowers (Stock Availability in Peak Season is Limited)
1, Honda 536VK 21-inch Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- If you have over £700 to spend and you want a premium type self-propelled lawn mower, then take a serious look at this Honda 21-inch Self Propelled Lawn Mower which gives a cutting path of 53cm approx.
Starting this machine is a breeze and the power on the blades when cutting and collecting is certainly one of the best that we have come across – not too many have matched it in terms of performance.
- The reference name for this mower is the Honda Izy HRG 536VK and it can handle those larger type lawns more quickly with half the hardship and ploughs through denser and thicker patches with less effort which makes your job more enjoyable and easier to do in the long term
- It has the smart drive variable speed self-propelled function that we really liked for different levels of grass mowing and the new auto choke makes it that much easier to get started.
- There is a reliable mulching system, the grass can be collected and it comes with one of the longest warranties we have come across which is a testament to the quality of this machine. Be prepared to dig deeper into your pockets though as it tends to set you back well over £700 when seen on sale
2, Hyundai HYM43P Petrol Push Mower
- This is top rated of all Hyundai petrol push lawn mower. The Hyundai gasoline engine is highly rate, it is efficient and powerful and of a light weight design. You can easily manoeuvre it and push around your garden and cut your grass evenly and efficiently.
- It has larger rear wheels. This makes it easy to manoeuvre and makes it easier for you to cover rough, unstable ground. It has a convenient 55 L polyester grass catcher for collection and disposal of your grass cuttings
- Soft grip handle providing a comfortable and easy holding and pushing the mower for a great cutting experience and the folding handles to make transportation and storage easy. 41.0 cm cutting width is wide enough for medium sized lawns.
- It has a six-stage centralized cutting height adjuster for complete control over the finish of your lawn. Mulching is a good idea for dry, lean lawns as it helps to retain moisture It has an easy recoil start feature that won’t let you down when you want to start the mower.
- You can easily clean your deck by using the garden hose attachment before storage, to prevent this happening and prolong the lifespan of your mower and this lawn mower comes with a 3 years warranty from Hyundai Power Equipment based in Pembrokshire
3, Spear & Jackson 41cm Hand Push Petrol Lawnmower - 125cc
- This Spear & Jackson, Hand Push 16'' (41cm) Petrol Lawnmower comes with a 4 stroke, 450E series Briggs & Stratton powerful engine.
- It has a power of 125cc, a robust and durable steel deck and features folding handles for easy storage. It comes with a big 50 litres, easy to empty, fabric grass bag.
- A single adjustment level controls the height with 5 positions, ranging from 25 to 75mm. This Spear & Jackson hand push lawnmower is ideal for small gardens, with the power from Briggs & Stratton engine your lawn will look pristine with no effort.
- Lawnmower features:125cc 4 stroke petrol engine.
- It has a steel blade which is 41cm, 5 cutting heights and the cutting heights ranging from 2.5cm-7.5cm. There is also a 50 litre grass box capacity.
- Included is the Metal deck with a central height adjustment and it is very easy to get started.
- The weight comes in around 23kg and it comes with a manufacturer's 2 year guarantee.
- Please note that this petrol mower tends to be out of stock in the peak seasons which is a pity - first come - first served I guess...
4, Makita Push PLM4626N 46cm 140CC Petrol Lawnmower
- The PLM4626N is a powerful and environmentally friendly 140cc 4 stroke mower, which is suitable for lawns up to 1,200Sq M. This push type mower is fitted with a durable steel deck for long life.
- It has a 60 litre cloth collection bag with viewing window located on the top for improved user convenience. Powerful 140cc 4 stroke 500e series Briggs and Stratton engine, which is both environmentally friendly and economical.
- Large 60 litre cloth collection bag with viewing window located on the top for improved user experience, no need to remove the bag to check its fill level, just look through the viewing window. 7 stage height adjustment for the perfect finish, ranging from 25mm through to 75mm.
- Lawnmower features: 140cc Briggs and Stratton engine. Metal blade.46cm blade width. 7 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 2.5cm-7.5cm. 60 litre grass box capacity.
- Fold down handle for compact storage.
- Height adjustable handle. Safety Metal deck and the central height adjustment is easier than you think, Weight to note is approx. 28kg.
5, Hyundai 159cc 4-in-1 Self-Propelled Electric Start Petrol Lawn Mower
- This is top rated of all Hyundai petrol self-propelled lawn mower. The Hyundai gasoline engine is highly rated, it is efficient and powerful and of a light weight design. Electric key start provides easy and convenient starting.
- You can easily manoeuvre it and push around your garden and cut your grass evenly and efficiently. It has larger rear wheels. This makes it easy to manoeuvre and makes it easier for you to cover rough, unstable ground.
- It has a convenient 70L polyester grass catcher for collection and disposal of your grass cuttings Soft grip handle providing a comfortable and easy holding and pushing the mower for a great cutting experience and the folding handles to make transportation and storage easy.
46cm cutting width is wide enough for medium sized lawns. It has a six-stage centralized cutting height adjuster for complete control over the finish of your lawn.
- Mulching is a good idea for dry, lean lawns as it helps to retain moisture. It has a collection box fill Level Indicator which shows how full the collection box is. This ensures that you do not stop un-necessarily and waste time or continue mowing with a full box leaving a trail of cut grass behind you.
- It has 4-in-1 cutting options. Cut and collect, cut and drop, cut and mulch or cut and side discharge.
- Mulching is a good idea for dry, lean lawns as it helps to retain moisture. You can easily clean your deck by using the garden hose attachment before storage, to prevent this happening and prolong the lifespan of your mower and this lawn mower comes with a 3 years warranty.
6, McCulloch M46110R Classic 110 46cm Lawnmower
- Robust and highly efficient collector mower with market unique 4x4 drive performance.
- The 4x4 system can track in a superior fashion across hills and through drainage ditch areas.
- Innovative flexispeed drive system, plus a strong easy-start Briggs and Stratton engine with auto prime, makes this our best product yet.
- Features: Briggs and Stratton engine.
- Metal blade.53cm blade width. 4 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 25cm-102cm.
- 65 litre grass box capacity.
- Metal deck. Easy start and the weight of mower is 38kg.
7, Hyundai 21-inch Self Propelled Electric Start 173cc Petrol Roller Lawn Mower (HYM530SPER)
- Up next we have another Hyundai lawn mower and this time it is the 21-inch Self Propelled Electric Start 173cc Petrol mower which includes 600ml of engine oil and is available directly from Hyundai Power Equipment in the UK who are based in Pembrokeshire.
- The one advantage here is the fact that you get a super level of customer support, back up service and they can be contacted directly on 01646 687 880 with any queries that you may possibly have. If you don’t want to call, then you can email them directly on email@example.com
- The width of this mower is 21 inches or 52.5cm, it comes with a OHV 4 stroke engine and starting this mower is made very easy with the electric start system provided. There is also the manual recoil as backup if needed if the electric starter gives any issues.
- Included with this push mower is the rear roller for stripes and 5 different cutting heights which work from 2.5cm up to 7.5cm. The grass collection unit has a capacity of 70L, it can be folded down when not in use and is an ideal solution for both medium and larger type lawns.
- Again, there is a 3 year warranty, there is a spares back up service available and the price level when last seen at Hyundai Power Equipment in Pembrokeshire was generally in the £470 to £520 mark which should be double checked below
8, Einhell Self Propelled 46cm Petrol Lawnmower
- Another petrol lawnmower that is worth a closer look due to the lower price tag is the Einhell 46cm self propelled lawn mower which certainly surprised us with the power and cutting performances. It may not be the best lawn mower on this list but is certainly one of the better priced options which would be ideal for people who need to work off the lowest possible price.
- This model GC-PM 46 S can be used for medium and larger lawns up to 1500m2, it has 1 cylinder, 1.9kw of power and a 4 stroke engine as standard. It also works off a rear wheel drive system.
- Unlike many other grass collectors that can be flimsy, this 50L grass collector here is more robust and hard wearing which will stand the test of time and it generally starts after 1 or 2 pulls with the manual cord – we didn’t experience any issues with the starting system anyway.
- For a more varied cut, there are 9 different mow height settings which range from 3cm to 8cm and the price from what we have seen is generally available for less than £250 when last seen on sale.
9, Yard Force 41cm 125cc Push Petrol Lawnmower
- Another great lawn mower with another great price level is the Yard Force 125cc 41cm push petrol lawnmower which comes with a Briggs and Stratton 300E Engine and surprisingly enough gave us a pleasant and enjoyable mowing experience and did a great job in collecting all the grass clippings.
- The comfort on the handle bars are a great help to reduce hand fatigue also which can set in after long mowing periods, they have a soft grip and they are robust enough to handle tough mowing conditions such as bumpy lawns and steep slopes.
- There is a nice simple to use height adjustor which offers 5 mow height settings from 2.5cm to 7.5cm, the grass collection unit size is decent enough as 45L capacity and it operates off a prime and pull start system. Yard Force has several years’ experience the sector and are becoming a brand that you can trust year in year out.
- For the operation, the prime button needs to be pushed 3 times to get the carburetor generated and then you pull the coil. The weight is not all that bad at less than 50kg and price wise, it is one of the lowest priced options on this list coming in around £200/£220 which again can be viewed below for a more accurate reading
10, Mountfield 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower HP45
- Up next and one of our favourite brands for reliability is the Mountfield 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower model number HP45 which again offers a more affordable price range than some of more expensive self propelled lawnmowers seen in the market. Its not the widest available but still has a cutting width of 44cm which is adequate for the majority of UK lawns.
- As it is a push mower, it comes with the lower price tag, it has a single lever height adjustment which offers a cutting range from 2cm up to 7cm over 5 settings. The weight is very manageable also as it comes in at less than 25kg
- Includes is a RS100 OHV 100cc engine which provides more power than you think and can be used for lawns up to 1500m2 as a guideline. The grass collection unit here has a capacity of 55L and it also has a mulching plug to put the clippings back down into the soil
- While it is not the best on this list, it is still a serious lawn mower for the price which gives little trouble whatsoever as they have been around since the 1960’s which in turn gives them a lot more time to become established in this sector. Overall, great value for the amount of money you have to spend.
Final 2 Petrol Lawn Mowers that a Worth a Mention
If the lawn mowers already outlined above have ticked all of your boxes just yet, then check out our 2 final options below which worked well for us and we have no problem in recommending them to the wider public…
Read More Popular Lawnmowers
If petrol mowers are not for you and you would like to consider a more environmentally friendly option, then feel free to look at some of the best electric mowers as follows:
- Best UK Corded Lawn Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Cordless Lawn Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Hover Lawn Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Reel Lawn Mowers – Take a look here
On a final note - Petrol lawn mowers are more powerful than electric mowers, can make much lighter work of a large lawn and give you a better finish at the same time. The additional power of a petrol lawn mower can make them the better choice for most midsized and bigger lawns. I hope you have an idea what to consider when buying a petrol lawnmower, the pros and cons of each choice and reviews of the petrol lawn mowers. Petrol lawn mowers tend to be a good deal heavier then electric models and are also more expensive. Petrol mowers will often need a strong arm to start them as they often use a ‘pull cord’ to get them going. Petrol mowers tend to be more powerful than electric mowers. Choosing the right lawn mower will save you time and frustration and I hope the above review was useful to you in choosing a petrol engine powered lawnmower for you own individual needs.
What are my top 3 here? To be honest it would have to be the Honda, the Mountfield and then he self propelled Hyundai! Finally, if you believe a specific petrol mower should be included in this review, please let me know by leaving a comment in the comment box below and I will certainly take it into consideration.