Greetings from Paul once again and here I have completed a compilation review of Mountfield Lawnmowers which are available in the UK market at present which you will definitely find useful so please make sure to check it out if you are considering buying a Mountfield lawnmower in the coming days or weeks.
An open, honest and unbiased view will be presented outlining also all the main features that you need to be aware of plus the advantages and disadvantages associated to each individual model. While you are here, I also want to try and help save you some money so please make sure to check out the low prices on offer via the price checkers provided below.
Lawnmower Review Overview:
|Lawn Mower Brand:||Mountfield Lawnmower Compilation|
|Models Reviewed:||6 Popular models|
|Lawnmower types:||Petrol & Electric|
|Cheap Place to buy:||Amazon UK – View today’s low prices here|
|Reliable Stock:||Mowers Online UK Gloucester - View Stock Availability Here|
Mountfield Lawnmower Overview:
Mountfield has been a number one UK brand for over 50 years, and our lawnmowers, lawn tractors and garden care products all share a reputation for outstanding quality and reliability. Mountfield began manufacturing rotary lawnmowers at premises in Maidenhead in 1962; the modern, high specification machines of today bear little resemblance to their ancestors, but all share a common ethos of quality and value for money - which has helped to make Mountfield the UK’s No.1 for over 50 years. Mountfield products have comprehensive manufacturer's warranties (the period varies according to the model), which give you peace of mind and protect your investment. When you buy a Mountfield mower you are buying a quality machine that will provide you with years of service and reliability.
Mountfield Lawnmower Reviews
1, Mountfield Self Propelled 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower
- Powered by the Mountfield WB45 OHV 140cc 4-stroke engine this powerful mower has a robust powder coated steel cutter deck and large 55 litre grass collector.
- Self propelled with power to the rear wheels, so no need to push! an ideal mower for maintaining your lawn with minimal effort.
- The additional mulching plug means you don't need to always collect the grass and can recycle grass clippings into the lawn.
- Featuring a reliable, easy starting engine and benefitting from a 2 year warranty.
- Supported by service link, an after sales help and advice website, phone line and National service network of garden machinery repair specialists.
- Mountfield has been manufacturing best selling high quality lawnmowers for British gardens since 1962.
Pros: It is assembled within minutes so it gets up and running in no time at all. All you need to do is add oil and gas and off you go. Simple to adjust the height with the one lever height adjustor and the mulching feature helps put nutrients back into your soil. The fact that it is self propelled is a great bonus especially when it comes to climbing steep hills.
Cons: Could be wider as 44cm means more passes and more time is needed to get through your lawn especially if you have a larger sized lawn. In addition, the instructions laid out could be a little better also to help you understand the processes.
2, Mountfield 53cm Self propelled Lawnmower
- With a powerful Mountfield OM55 OHV 160cc engine, this mower is designed to provide an excellent finish on all types of lawn.
- This self propelled machine is ideal for maintaining your lawn with minimum effort particularly if your lawn has slopes.
- Complete with a large 60 litre grass collector, plus a mulching plug; meaning you don't always need to collect the grass and can recycle grass clippings into the lawn, saving time plus fertilising the lawn.
- It benefits from a robust powder coated steel chassis with front scalp plate, reducing scalping of the lawn and improving grass collection.
- This mower also benefits from a 2 year warranty and is supported by Service Link, an after sales help and advice website, phone line and National service network of garden machinery repair specialists
- The Weight of this model is 35kg and the Product Dimensions are 158 x 56 x 110 cm
- The Blade Length is also 53 centimetres and has the capability to mow a coverage of 2500 sqm
- Included here also you will get the grass collector and also the mulching plug.
Pros: Wider mower than the version mentioned above so it will save you time each time you pass. This model has a reliable start cord also so you get going straight away and you have the easy height adjustor to suit the level of grass you need to get through.
Cons: Not environmentally friendly when compared to electric mowers and you have the ongoing costs of fuel and maintenance to deal with.
3, Mountfield Push HP41 39cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower
- The HP41 is a lightweight hand propelled petrol lawnmower, with a 39cm cutting width powered by a Mountfield 100cc engine.
- A 40 litre grass collector and 5 heights of cut from 25 to 70mm make this mower ideal for longer grass, on small to medium sized lawns of 20m x 20m.
- This model represents Excellent Value for money. Powered by a Mountfield 100cc 4 stroke engine, the HP41 hand propelled lawnmower is ideal for small to medium sized lawns.
- The engine is very easy to start, with a standard recoil rope system and will give many years of trouble-free mowing.
- Each wheel is fitted with a height adjuster, offering 5 pre-set cutting positions from 25mm to 70mm, so adjusting the height of cut is quick and simple.
- The easy to remove collector holds 40 litres of grass and the mower can also be used without the collector, if you wish to leave the cuttings.
- This great little mower is a light and easy to use and extremely economical to run and with fold down handles making it easier to store.
- The tough polypropylene chassis won't rust giving your many years of service.
- If your lawn is on a slope, you might want to consider the SP41 self propelled model instead
Pros: Great value mower with an attractive price and is more solid and sturdy that you would think. Great quality engine and is reliable to get started fast and easy. The 5 height settings provided also give you the option of mowing at 25mm or even up to 70mm
Cons: Ongoing maintenance costs and fuel costs that you have to fund and can be noisy for your neighbours if they live close-by
4, Mountfield SP414 15" Petrol 4-Wheel Self-Propelled Rotary Lawnmower
- The SP414 is a general purpose self propelled lawnmower, with a 39 centimetre cutting width and a Mountfield 100cc engine.
- A 40 litre grass collector and 5 heights of cut from 25 to 70mm, make this mower ideal for longer grass on small to medium sized lawns
- Powered by a Mountfield 100cc 4 stroke engine, the SP414 self propelled lawnmower is ideal for small to medium sized lawns.
- The engine is easy to start, with a standard recoil rope system and will give many years of trouble-free mowing.
- There are 3 height adjusters, offering 5 pre-set cutting positions from 25mm to 70mm, so adjusting the height of cut is quick and simple.
- The quick to remove collector holds 40 litres of grass and the mower can also be used without the collector, if you wish to leave the cuttings.
- This great little mower is a joy to use and extremely economical to run.
- With a polypropylene chassis in 'Mountfield Red', it will give you many years of service and have small to medium sized lawns looking lush, neat and tidy in no time.
5, Mountfield Princess 34 Electric 4 Wheel Rear Roller Lawnmower
- The Princess 34 is a lightweight mower and very easy to operate.
- It comes complete with a 15 metre electric cable.
- The single point height adjuster makes changing the cutting height very simple.
- The mower has 6 preset cutting heights from 25mm to 75mm.
- A roller is fitted between the rear wheels and will leave a striped finish on lower cutting height settings.
- The mower can be used with the 35 litre collector if you wish to collect the clippings.
- It can also be used as a mulching mower using the plug supplied or clippings can be discharged onto the lawn, the grass deflector flap directs them down onto the turf.
- The Princess 34 also features a safety brake which means the blade stops rotating within 3 seconds of the operator releasing the switch.
- This mower has a full 2 year warranty
- The Weight is 13 kg and has a Sound Level of 92 db.
Pros: Seriously light in weight and really easy to move around and mow with. This is also your environmentally friendly alternative to your standard gas mower. You also get a 15m cable which save you the hassle of having to source this externally.
Cons: Lacks the full power you get from the petrol mowers but still provides a satisfactory result though you may need to go over the heavy thicker spots a few times.
6, Mountfield S421R HP 41cm Hand-Propelled Rear Roller Lawnmower
- The Mountfield S421R HP is a hand propelled, rear roller rotary mower, ideal for those classic lawn stripes.
- The robust, powder coated steel chassis ensures this quality lawnmower will deliver a superb finish for many years.
- Powered by an easy start 100cc Mountfield RS 100 OHV 4-stroke engine.
- 5 heights of cut, ranging from 20mm to 70mm, selected using a single lever, ensures you can pick the most suitable height for the finish required.
- The 55 litre collector is easy to attach and has an indicator to show when it needs emptying.
- A 41cm cutting width makes this mower suitable for small sized lawns up to 20m x 20m.
- The S421R HP 41cm hand propelled lawnmower, with a rear roller to produce a classic striped effect.
A quick summary comparison table is also outlined below:
|Model||Mow Width||Engine Power|
|Mountfield SP45 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower||44 cm||140 cc Petrol, 4 stroke
|Mountfield SP53 51cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower||51 cm||160 cc, Petrol|
|Mountfield HP41 39cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower||39 cm||100 cc, Petrol|
|Mountfield SP414 15" Petrol 4-Wheel Self-Propelled Rotary Lawnmower||39 cm||100 cc, Petrol|
|Mountfield Princess 34 Electric 4 Wheel Rear Roller Lawnmower||34 cm||1400 watts|
|Mountfield S421R HP 41cm Hand-Propelled Rear Roller Lawnmower||41 cm||100 cc, Petrol
|Mountfield Princess 34Li Freedom48 Cordless Lawnmower||34 cm||48 V, 2Ah batteries|
Buying Tips with your Lawnmower:
- To make your garden/lawn more beautiful and attractive and safe for children you need to mow your lawn time to time, it can be done only by a suitable and reliable lawnmower. Below are the helpful tips to choose a lawnmower for your garden.
- Remember your lawn conditions - Is it a flat lawn, then your choice of ride-on is wide open. But for many people, their lawn may vary from undulating through to steep. In this case, you will need a machine with a low centre of gravity.
- Length of Grass - You have to keep in mind this aspect, the length of the grass you’re trying to mow, especially if there are areas you let grow long.
- Electric/Diesel/Petrol/Cordless - Diesel engine ride-on mowers have more torque and are cheaper to run than petrol engines, that's the reason they are preferred one, who tend to run them for the hours required to make the higher purchase price economical. if you don't like noise in your house's lawn, you can use electric lawnmowers even cordless are also available.
- Torque - Torque is a force, the power generated by the engine that gives a machine its ‘grunt’ to turn the blades, and to keep turning them under stresses like long, wet grass. The higher the torque, the better the performance under stress.
Frequently Asked Questions - Mountfield Mowers:
Q: How much oil should you add before first use of SP45 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower?
A: There’s a dip stick so you can’t go wrong. It’s about 200ml if I remember correctly
Q: Is this model SP45 44cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower 2-stroke or 4-stroke?
A: It has a 4-stroke petrol engine.
Q: what is the top speed of the SP53 51cm Petrol Rotary Lawnmower?
A: The "top speed" is hard to define but it is a comfortable walking pace.
Q: Does the mower come with oil or do I need to buy that separately?
A: You need to buy oil separately
Q: When you let go of the power drive, does it disengage from the wheels, so that you can move it backwards manually?
A: Yes you can it is like a normal push mower until you engage the drive handle
Q: Are there problems with the grass box fitting on?
A: No, the grass box should fit perfectly but please make sure to read the operating manual.
I hope you found this review on the Mountfield Lawnmowers useful but if you are still on the fence, then take a look at some of the Best UK Lawnmowers reviews as follows:
- Best UK Petrol mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Corded Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Cordless Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Hover Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Robotic Mowers – Take a look here
- Best UK Tractor Ride on Mowers – Take a look here
Also - if you have used a Mountfield lawnmower in the past, please share your experiences good or bad with the community by writing a comment in the comment box below – the community would greatly appreciate it!!!