Hello and welcome to our list for the Best Hover lawn mowers in the UK based on our own experiences. There are many different types of lawn mowers to choose from, including both manual and electric options and today we will present some of the best hover lawn mowers available in the UK at present. One popular type is the hover lawn mower, which glides over your lawn on its own cushion of air. The hover mower is very common domestically and are similar to rotary mowers but without the wheel.
Some will come equipped with a grass box, while others simply blow it to the side for a quick and easy pick up. Hover mowers offer a few benefits to users, including the fact that they’re quite affordable, lightweight and user-friendly. One key advantage hover mowers have over rotary lawnmowers is that generally when you first buy one, they are ready to use out of the box.
The type of grass also influences how the hover lawnmower works. The hover mower is typically best on grass that is a mixture of weeds and ryegrass as well as moss. This type of rough grass needs to be cut at least once a week. The hover mower is versatile enough to handle this and it also copes with longer grass.
It is essential when it comes to cutting lawns at hard to reach places, such as grassy banks, border paths, and curving edges. The hover mower makes its way between shrubs and trees as well as flower beds without doing any damage. Overall when comparing hover mowers vs. rotary lawnmowers there is no clear winner. The perfect lawnmower is a largely down to personal preference and the type of garden you own. Before buying your next lawnmower you should consider the size and shape of your lawn as these will determine the type of lawnmower you should purchase. Check out these products here and find out which suits your lawn the best.
Helpful Tips for Hover Mowers
- Due to their unique design, there are a few tips in mind to get the best result from your hover mower. After you’ve turned it on, tilt the mower slightly to give it the lift it needs by allowing air to circulate underneath the main deck. Otherwise, the mower will feel somewhat heavy. If you wish to adjust the cutting height, check your manufacturer instructions.
There will usually be a height adjustment lever on the mower’s side, or else you will find spacers between the cutting deck and blade that you can add or remove as needed. Like all lawnmowers, regular cleaning and maintenance is also recommended.
- Hover mowers are available in two main power types – electric and petrol. The petrol models have more power and are free from cumbersome electric wires.
- The electric variety is better suited for small lawns where dealing with wires is not much of an issue. Also, the electric model may not be practical if it is going to be used in an area that receives a lot of rainfall, because then one will have to wait for the lawn to dry up before using the electric mower.
- One of the most important factors to look out for when in the market to buy a hover lawn mower is that it should be simple to operate and move around. Ease of mobility is one of the essential elements, especially when there are steps involved.
- Also, check the height of the handle and make sure it is comfortable to work with; this becomes especially important if the handle is not adjustable.
- Make sure the hand grip and switch feel natural to handle. A single-handed switch may feel awkward. While hover mowers are compact overall, some petrol models can be heavy, so make sure they are easy to carry. If the striped lawn effect is your thing, then make sure to get one with the rollers.
Factors for Consideration
- If you’ve decided that a hover mower is right for you, there are a few options on the market to choose from. To begin with, you’ll need to decide if you want a model with a grass box or not.
- While a grass box neatly collects the clippings for you, it does weigh the mower down, so you’ll need to decide if a neater trim or portability is more important.
- The cutting height is another factor to look at when choosing the right mower. Hover mowers have adjustable cutting heights, so look at the model’s full range of features.
Best UK Hover Lawn Mowers - Our Top Picks
1, Challenge Corded Hover Mower - 900Wb
- This 29cm Challenge 900W mulching hover mower has safer to use impact resistant polymer blades to mulch grass into fine particles.
- The powerful hover lift creates a lightweight and very manoeuvrable mower which is ideal for small gardens. The compact size and folding handle allows easy storage in the smallest spaces.
- A mulching mower is quick and simple to use on a small lawn. There is no grass box to empty and no need to collect and dispose of the clippings.
- This mulching mower finely cuts grass and drops it back on to the lawn. Mulching the grass clippings returns nutrients usually taken away when mowing. Impact resistant polymer safety blades. 8 spare blades included.
- Lawnmower features: 900 watt electric hover motor. Plastic blade.29cm blade width.2 cutting heights. Cutting heights ranging from 1cm-3.3cm.Height adjustable handle.10m power cable.
- Safety switch is included and the Weight is 6.2kg.
- Very economical and easy to use machine. Light weight. All electric. Safety switch. Impact resistant plastic cutting blades. Mulching feature
- Blades are made of plastic. No grass box. Only suitable for small areas
2, Challenge Corded Hover Collect Mower - 1100W
- This 29cm Challenge 1100W collecting hover mower has safer to use, impact resistant, polymer blades. The powerful hover lift creates a lightweight and very manoeuvrable mower which is ideal for small gardens.
- The compact size and folding handle gives you easy storage in the smallest spaces.
- This hover mower is ergonomically lightweight and highly manoeuvrable which is ideal for very small lawns. It features a centrally positioned collection box which is easy to empty and easy to fit.
- Designed for safety the high speed impact resistant polymer blades are a safer grass cutting alternative to metal blades. Twin safety triggers allow for right or left handed usage.
- The vacuuming chute to the rear of the lawnmower quickly and conveniently collects the grass clippings from the lawn as you mow.
- Lawnmower features: 1100 watt electric hover motor. Plastic blades.29cm blade width.2 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 1cm-3.3cm.15 litre grass collection box. Height adjustable handle.10m power cable. Includes the Safety switch.
- Weight is approx. 7.3kg
- Very economical and easy to use machine. Light weight. All electric. Safety switch. Impact resistant plastic cutting blades. Mulching feature
- Blades are made of plastic. No grass box included which can be a pain. Only suitable for small areas so please measure up before you consider this model
3, Flymo Corded Turbo Lite 330 Hover Mower - 1150W
- The Turbo Lite 330 is ideal for small to medium sized lawns. Light and easy to use, Flymo's air cushion lawnmowers have a double handed switching system which allows easy and comfortable right or left handed use. The Turbo Lite 330 floats on a cushion of air and cuts easily in any direction.
- Cutting the grass skilfully is easy with the 1150 watts of power that the turbo lite 330 uses. It will cut your lawn effortlessly in any direction, and efficiently with its 33cm metal blade.
Mowing on a cushion of air makes gardening quicker and easier. This unique design allows the user to cut in any direction, even down slight slopes, and around trees.
- Achieving your preferred height of cut for your grass is easy. The turbo lite 330 has four heights of cut between 10-30mm. The 10 metre mains cable gives you freedom and flexibility to move around your lawn, without running out of cable.
- Lawnmower features: 1150 watt electric hover motor. Metal blade.33cm blade width.4 cutting heights. There are various cutting heights ranging from 1cm-3cm and the 10m power cable is included also.
- The weight of his particular model is 6.5kg.
- Very economical and easy to use machine. Light weight. All electric with the cord. Safety switch included for help around children. Metal blades included and the mulching feature is also a great help.
- There is no grass box and this mower can really only handle smaller lawn areas
4, Flymo Hover Vac 280 Corded Collect Mower - 1300W
- The HoverVac 280 is a lightweight, easy to use, electric hover collect lawnmower, that will help you to get your lawn looking great in no time. It will glide across your lawn, cutting and collecting the grass as you go. The HoverVac 280 is perfect for people with smaller gardens.
- The hovervac 280 has a powerful motor of 1300w. This electric hover collect mower, floats on a cushion of air making cutting your lawn, quicker and easier.
The hovervac 280 has four cutting heights, varying from 10-30mm. Choose the cutting height to match the condition of your lawn, or your personal preference. It's 28cm metal cutting blade cuts the grass cleanly for a neater, tidier finish.
- Coming fully assembled, you just need to remove from the box, pull the handle into the required position and you're ready to go. This slick system also allows for easy transportation and storage.
- Lawnmower features: 1300 watt electric hover motor.Metal blade.28cm blade width.4 cutting heights.Cutting heights ranging from 1cm-3cm.20 litre grass collection box.10m power cable.Safety switch for added safety while you work and mow
- Weight of this particular model is heavier at 8.8kg.
- Very economical and easy to use machine. Light weight. Metal blades and Mulching feature with the cord and safety switch included
- This is really only suitable for small areas and there is no grass box catcher included
5, Flymo Ultraglide Corded Collect Hover Mower - 1800W
- The Flymo UltraGlide is the most advanced hover collect mower yet, and is perfect for medium to large sized gardens. It's unique DuoTech system offers the ultimate vacuum experience. It allows you to cut closer to walls, fences, and over edges - making mowing your lawn quicker and easier than ever before.
- The ultraglide has a large power rating of 1800w, and will cut your lawn efficiently and neatly with its 36cm metal cutting blade. Choose between four cutting heights using the single lever height of cut adjustment.
- The ultraglide's unique duotech system, works by lifting and straightening uncut grass, before neatly cutting and propelling the grass off the blade, up into the grass box and compacting it for more efficient storage.
- It's compact design makes it easy to carry and fold, which is perfect if you have limited storage space. The spring assisted handle ensures the correct mowing position and offers the best hover performance.
- Lawnmower features: 1800 watt electric hover motor. Metal blade.36cm blade width.4 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 1.3cm-3.2cm.30 litre grass collection box.15m power cable and there is a safety switch is included also and the weight is heavier again at 12kg
- Powerful and easy to use machine. All electric. With cord. Safety switch. Metal blades. Added mulching feature for healthier soils.
- Heavier than other models which makes it more difficult to move around but is manageable all the same
6, Qualcast Hover Collect Lawnmower - 1500W
- The Qualcast Hover Collect Lawnmower uses a Vac and Pac grass collection system with an easy to empty transparent grass box, whilst also boasting a double sided blade that's sharpened on both sides.
- Lawnmower features: 1500 watt electric hover motor.
- Steel blade. 33cm blade width and it has 4 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 1.2cm-3.3cm. 20 litre grass collection box.
- Height adjustable handle. Turbo drive motor. 10m power cable plus a safety switch as standard
- Qualcast Hover Collect Lawnmower - 1500W uses grass collection system – a transparent grass box, double sided blade that's sharpened on both sides.
- 1500 watt electric hover motor
- Powerful and easy to use machine.. All electric. With cord. Safety switch. Double sided blades. Mulching feature. 20l grass collection box
- Heavier than other models. Electric cord which can be tangled which you always need to keep an eye out for.
7, Sovereign Electric Hover Lawnmower - 900W.
- This 29cm Sovereign 900W mulching hover mower has impact resistant polymer blades to mulch grass into fine particles.
- The powerful hover lift creates a lightweight and very manoeuvrable mower which is ideal for small gardens.
- The compact size and folding handle allows easy storage in the smallest spaces. 900 watt electric hover motor. Plastic blade. 29cm blade width. 2 cutting heights.
- Cutting heights ranging from 1.2cm-3.3cm. Height adjustable handle.
- Mulching lawnmowers recycle the grass clippings as you mow chopping these clippings into fine particles which then fall down onto the soil and ferilise your lawn.
- The result is a well fed lawn that takes less time to cut. Safety switch is an added bonus.
- Weight of 5.2kg and is a 900 watt electric hover motor.
- Plastic blade is included and it has a 29cm blade width.
8, Charles Bentley Electric Hover Mower 1000W 28cm Cutting Blade
- Ideal for efficiently mowing the grass, this electric hover mower is both lightweight and easy to use. Powered by a 1000 watt motor, this model has a 28cm wide cutting blade and will effortlessly cut the grass.
- With an easily adjustable cutting height ranging from 10-20mm, you can get the finish that you need. This electric hover mower floats on a cushion of air and can effortlessly cut grass in different directions with minimal effort needed.
- This electric hover mower easily folds up, for compact and neat storage. A practical power tool for any avid gardener, this electric hover mower is perfect for cutting oddly shaped gardens or gardens with slopes.
- Features: 1000 watt motor, 7000 RPM, 28cm cutting width, Cutting height: 10-20mm, Lightweight, CE Certified, 6m mains cable, Easy to fold and store away.
- Weight of 4.7kg Assembly: Item comes flat packed so some self-assembly is required.
Final Option: McGregor 30cm 1450W Hover Collect Lawnmower
- Last on our list which should be further up on this list is one of our top 3 favourites is the McGregor 30cm 1450W Hover Collect Lawnmower which is generally available for less than £100 when we checked it several times on sale.
- The handle here can be folded down easily when not in use, it works really well on steep slopes and hills or bumpy areas and it can compact and collect the clippings which allows you to work for longer without being interrupted.
- You also get front wheels to assist in general movements, the motor is 1450W and they offer a 2 year warranty hassle free which they stand over. There are 4 cutting heights to choose from that range from 1.2cm to 3.3cm so you can get a really tight low finish across the lawn.
- The capacity of the grass collection unit is only 20L though so keep that in mind but it does have a powerful torque system which can work on both small and medium type lawns.
- There is a safety switch included here also, the cable is 10m long and again the price is usually less than £100 and, in some cases, can be less than £85 which can be double checked below. Again, you will get a 2 year warranty if you choose to go down this route.
A quick Comparison Table is outlined below
|Model||Mow Width||Engine Power||Mow Heights|
|Challenge Corded Hover Mower - 900W||29cm||900W||1cm-3.3cm.|
|Challenge Corded Hover Collect Mower - 1100W||29cm||1100W||1cm-3.3cm. 2 cutting heights|
|Flymo Corded Turbo Lite 330 Hover Mower||33cm||1150W||4 cutting heights
|Flymo Hover Vac 280 Corded Collect Mower||28 cm||1300W||4 cutting heights
|Flymo Ultraglide Corded Collect Hover Mower||36cm||1800W||4 cutting heights.
|Qualcast Hover Collect Lawnmower - 1500W||33cm||1500W||4 cutting heights.
|Sovereign Electric Hover Lawnmower - 900W.||29cm||900W||2 cutting heights.
|Charles Bentley Electric Hover Mower 1000W||28cm||1000W||1.0-2.0cm|
|Draper 03468 1100W Hover Lawn Mower||34cm||1100W||3 cutting heights
10m, 16mm and 22mm
If you would also like to take a look at corded, cordless electric or reel mowers, feel free to browse some of the best and most popular options in the UK as follows:
- Best UK Corded Mowers – View here
- Best UK Cordless Mowers – View here
- Best UK Reel Mowers – View here
There are many different types of lawn mowers to choose from, including both manual and electric options. One popular type is the hover lawn mower, which glides over your lawn on its own cushion of air. Some will come equipped with a grass box, while others simply blow it to the side for a quick and easy pick up.
Hover mowers offer a few benefits to users, including the fact that they’re quite affordable, lightweight and user-friendly. So go on and buy your lawnmower that most suits your requirements. Thank you for reading this review, I hope it was useful to you. Finally, if you believe that a model has been left out and needs to be included in this best list, please let me know by leaving a comment in the comment box below and I will certainly take it into consideration.