Hello and welcome to this compilation review of Qualcast Lawn mowers which are available in the UK at present. If you are looking to purchase a lawnmower and specifically a Qualcast brand, then you have come to the right place. Here we are going to review the most popular Qualcast brand of lawnmowers available in the UK market.
We will tell you about the brand, some tips to help you choose the right model that meets your requirements and also point out something pitfalls to avoid. Go ahead read this review and if you select and purchase a Qualcast lawnmower don’t forget to give your own comments in the comment box below to help others to help them choose their lawnmower. In addition, please ensure you check out the price checkers provided below to make sure you get the absolute best value for your money.
Qualcast Lawn Mower Overview:
Qualcast Ltd was formed in 1928, to produce lawnmowers exclusively. By the end of the second World War the company had risen to become the UK’s largest lawnmower brand. In 1970 Qualcast introduced a new type of lawnmower which was powered directly by electricity.
This was a huge innovation and it really changed the lawnmower industry. Over subsequent years many new mowers models were introduced by Qualcast making it the No:1 lawnmower company in UK.
The company was later purchased by Bosch but they retained the Qualcast brand name because of its rich history. When you purchase a Qualcast brand you know that you’re getting a quality lawnmower, one which has almost 100 years of engineering behind it.
|Lawn Mower Review Brand:||Qualcast Lawn mower compilation|
|Models Reviewed:||6 models|
|Best Place to buy:||Homebase – View today’s low prices here|
|Alternative Supply:||Amazon UK– View stock level’s here|
Helpful Tips with Qualcast Lawn Mowers:
- In this review we will make it easy for you to select the best Qualcast lawnmower in each class. When you have to choose the type of lawnmower you have to consider the following issues: What is the size of your lawn? The first important criterion in choosing the lawn mower is the size of the lawn you want to mow.
- There a variety of various types and sizes lawn mowers for mowing small and mid-size lawns up to 800sqm. For mid-size to large surfaces up to 1500 sqm we would recommend some of the models with a larger width (from 46 to 53 cm) with or without additional functions such as the collector or own power supply.
- For large grass surfaces up to 6000 sqm we recommend self propelled lawn mower.
- To sum up, size matters. If it is small or medium sized lawn, then you can look at the corded, cordless push lawnmower. If the lawn is large or you are not physically capable then a self-powered or even tractor lawnmower is the best option. If the lawn is large then width of the cutting blades is also important. The wider the cutting blades the quicker you will be done with your mowing.
- Most lawn mowers are equipped with a grass collector, and some of them have a mulching set and swathe side discharge option. Therefore, it is of vital importance whether you want your lawn mower to collect the swathe, or have a special mulching set which turns the swathe into the finest particles which then fall back onto the lawn.
- In this manner you will get a healthy and resistant lawn. If the swathe collection is not necessary, and the terrain where the lawn is located is not an ideal one, then we would recommend a lawnmower with the side discharge option.
- Which kind of Petrol should you use? That is an important question. Regular unleaded 98, 95, 95 E5 or E10 can be used in most garden machinery products. Do not use any petrol containing more than 10% ethanol. This will cause corrosion damage to fuel system components.
- If you use your petrol engine lawnmower intermittently, which would mean 4 weeks or more between each use, you should only use petrol that has been treated with a good quality fuel stabiliser, this should be added at the time you purchase your fuel.
- Most fuel stabilisers have a shelf-life and its performance will deteriorate over time, once the bottle is opened, it has a maximum life of 2 years. It is important to note that fuel stabiliser will not reconstitute or reinvigorate stale petrol. It must only be added when the petrol is fresh.
Frequently Asked Questions that came up…
- Question: How long is the warranty for Qualcast Lawnmowers?
- Answer: All Qualcast Lawnmowers come with a 2 years manufacturer’s warranty.
- Question: Any assembly required for these lawnmowers?
- Answer: The Lawnmowers are shipped in a compact package, so on opening the package, a small amount of easy assembly is required.
- Question: Any special tools required for assembly of the machine for the first time?
- Answer: No special tools are required. Ordinary wrench/spanner are the only tools required for assembly.
- Question: Can any of the models be adjusted to cut any lower than 12mm?
- Answer: The lowest setting is in danger of skimming the surface off if the lawn is not even. Unless you are cutting a bowling green I don't think it would need to be set any lower.
- Question: I have a large lawn. Which model will be suitable for me?
- Answer: For large lawns select a self-propelled mower with wide cutting blades.
Qualcast Lawn Mower Review Compilation
1, Qualcast Corded Cylinder Lawnmower - 400W Model
- The Qualcast Corded Cylinder Lawnmower has great features that you will truly appreciate if you are looking for Electric Corded Cylinder Lawnmower. It has 4 precision diamond ground blades for excellent cutting.
- Cylinder lawn mowers are often called Reel Lawnmowers, named after the multi blade cutting reel, or Roller Lawnmowers, named after the rollers at the front and rear of the machine.
- The cylinder lawnmower operates with a spinning reel of six to twelve blades which are welded into a single reel configuration, the spinning reel spins across the top of the grass trapping the leaves between it and the stationary bottom blade - which is also called a sheer blade.
- The effect is exactly like that of a pair of scissors whose blades swish past each other to perform the clean cutting action, like that seen on a bowling green. Both reel blades and bottom blades need to be kept sharp to ensure the maximum quality of cut.
- If you like your lawn to have the stripe effect then this lawnmower has a large split rear roller that creates stripes. It is very easy to operate and allows quite easy movement. It can be fully folded and you don’t have to worry about needing a large storage room in your shed or garage for this machine and it is very compact allows for flat or vertical storage.
- It's quite lightweight and easy for you to carry. This Lawnmower has a 400-watt electric cylinder motor. Steel blades with width of 32cms, and 3 cutting heights to choose from. These cutting heights range from 1.8cm-4.5cm.
- It has a large 45 litre grass collection box, so don’t have to clear the grass box frequently. It has height adjustable handles so that you can set it to a comfortable level. The 12m power cable is long enough for small lawns but you can easily attach an extension cord, if you need extra length.
- There is a safety switch which can be activated quickly to stop the motor quickly in case of emergency. Its total weight is 12kg and it comes with a manufacturer's 2 year guarantee for your peace of mind - further price information is available below
Pros: Quality of machine is very good. It is powerful enough for small sized lawns and it cuts the grass really well and evenly. A neat fold away system means the handle folds down on the top of the unit and the carry handle on the motor unit makes it easy to put away and is easy to store. Long 12m cable is easy to handle and manage. The safety switch gives additional protection if you want to stop the machine in an emergency. Variable cutting heights gives many grass heights to choose from.
Cons: The machine comes packed disassembled and it is slightly difficult to assemble the handles correctly. It is not a self-propelled machine and so requires some effort to push it. It is heavier than similar machines and some people may find it tiring to use it and it does not cut as low as some may desire. The other big problem we find is stock availability!
2, Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1200W
- This 1200W mower features a Turbo Drive motor and a 32cm steel blade which provides AirLift grass collection technology for great cutting and collection performance in all conditions.
- The compact design makes it easy to carry and manoeuvre around obstacles. Safety features include a Quickstop blade brake and a 2 handed starting switch.
- There is also the 1200 watt electric rotary motor.
- Metal blade. 32cm blade width. 3 cutting heights. Cutting heights ranging from 2cm-6cm. 30 litre grass collection box. Height adjustable handle.
- Qualcast's unique Turbo Drive technology transforms the power of the motor into blade torque so as to maintain blade speed in all conditions and achieve the best finish and class-leading grass collection at all times.
- 10m power cable is included
- Safety switch included for you and your family’s protection. It has a weight of 8kg which is certainly manageable and you also will get a Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee - price information from Homebase UK is available below
Pros: Nice and light and easy to use. Compact and good sturdy design. Good value for the money. The cuttings grass box has a big plastic lip on it, which catches on the edge of the bag while emptying and stops the last few cuttings from tipping out. Excellent mower, easy to use, especially for an older person, it is a lightweight mower. Easy to assemble and very reliable. Works extremely well on areas of rough and uneven grass. Also used evn in slightly damp conditions effectively. The cutting blade chuck is easily changed with the added spanner included.
Cons: Wheels can be hard to adjust. The switch is contoured with the handle and constantly snags fingers and thumb while it is gripped 'ON'. The motor stops running at the slightest release which makes steering difficult. Need a tool to clear out the side vents afterwards and again stock availability tends to be very unreliable!
3, Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1400W
- The Qualcast 1400W Electric Lawnmower features a generous 40 litre grass collection box to reduce emptying.
- The lightweight construction makes the mower conveniently manoeuvrable while the hi-speed turbo drive motor delivers superior performance and features a safety switch.
- Lawnmower features: 1400 watt. Steel blade. 37cm blade width.
- Cutting heights ranging from 2cm-7cm and there is also the 40 litre grass collection box.
- Hi speed turbo drive and 200mm rear wheels for additional manoeuvrability
- There is also a 10m power cable included and for added protection you will get the safety switch.
- Rear roller is included also to help get that smarter look
- General information then – you get a weight of 14kg and also a manufacturer's 2 year guarantee with good prices below
Pros: The unit was easy to assemble. Adjustment cut height is also easy to operate. Cuts well and is easy to manage. Good value for money. First class mower for a small lawn. Very good price and easy to push as well as to empty the grass from the collection box.
Cons: The collection box is very small & there is difficulty filling box due to its design. The box has fabric sides which collapse, not very practical for grass cutting. The grass collector was warped. Leaves grass mush from the wheels and does not suck grass as well. In addition, during peak season stock availability seems to be hard to come by so you end up having to buy other brands instead.
4, Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1600W
- Featuring a Hi-speed turbo drive, the Qualcast 1600W Electric Lawnmower delivers superb performance. The mower also features a rear roller, giving your grass that landscaped finish while the mulching function helps you to have a healthier lawn and features a safety switch.
- The flat, wide rear roller on the back of the mower, combine with the heavy weight of the machine to slowly flatten the soil underneath lawns, when further combined with the flat, wide bottom blade, the machine works to produce and maintain a flat finish to any lawns which are cut using a cylinder mower.
- It can take time for a quality flat finish to occur, especially for new lawns.
- Lawnmower features: 1600 watt and the Steel blade which has a 40cm blade width.
- The cutting heights ranging from 2cm-7cm and there is also a 40 litre grass collection box.
- In addition, there is a large central cutting height adjustment lever and 200mm rear wheels.
- To get you started, there is a 10m power cable included also.
- For your protection, it has a Safety switch and you will also get a Rear roller to help your lawns appearance
- The General information then is that it has a weight of 14.9kg and there is also a manufacturer's 2 year guarantee.
Pros: It is an excellent rotary mower. It produces green stripes on the lawn. It is easy to use and relatively quiet and produces good result. It actually picks up the grass and fills the box wet or dry. (Most mowers will not do this). There's even a flap on the box that visibly identifies whether the box is full. It's light, manoeuvrable, dead easy to adjust the height with one lever.
Cons: Very hard to push along grass cutting setting only cut when lowest setting a cumbersome lawn mower. The handles are very high up and uncomfortable to push. The power cable is not very long, so you need an extension lead. It can take about 3 hours to assemble so prepare yourself for this in advance and you need to book it well in advance as stock availability could be a whole lot better
5, Qualcast 41cm Wide Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower - 125CC.
- This Qualcast Self-Propelled Petrol Lawnmower requires no pushing from you, making mowing your lawn as simple as possible.
- With a compact and easy-to-use design, it has a 125cc 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton Petrol Engine and features folding handles for easy storage.
- The petrol engine lawnmower is not tied to a power supply so are free to roam and can be used for lawns that are not immediately near a power supply receptacle.
- Since there is no electric cord to tangle with, you do not have to run the risk of cutting through a power cable as you would with an electric mower.
- The convenience of this will be appreciated by those who spend half their time checking where the cable lies when using an electric mower.
- This is particularly important for medium to large sized lawns that you have the flexibility of a cordless lawn mower.
- Another advantage of these mowers and the chief reason why they are still in such high demand is the fact that they are really reliable. Even though they require regular maintenance, it is possible to use one of these for several years without the need for replacement.
- As they are usually for heavy use since they are more powerful than the electric mowers, this is even more remarkable which is probably why not only landscaping professionals and professional gardeners prefer them but a lot of home owners like the flexibility and reliability of petrol self-propelled lawnmowers.
- There are some disadvantages with these mowers such as the cost of petrol and the problem of mowing tight corners and edges. The noise from these mowers should also be taken into consideration as they are noisier than electric lawn mowers for instance.
- However, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. They make it easier to mow the lawn with less energy and in less time. These machines also need regular servicing and sometimes parts need to be replaced to keep the mower in tip top condition that will last you for years
- Since the petrol mowers tend to have more power than electric or hand driven mowers and so can make mowing the lawn an easier experience.
- This particular model comes with a 125cc Briggs and Stratton engine. Steel blade of 41cm width. 5 cutting heights. Cutting heights ranging from 2.5cm-7.5cm.
- A large 45 litre grass box capacity. Height adjustable handle. Metal deck. Central height adjustment. Easy start. All it packed in just 23kg.
- It comes with manufacturer's 2 Year (1 year fabric) guarantee.
Pros: Self-propelled, so no need to push it. Can cover a large sized lawn easily. Large grass box with 45 Litre capacity so can save time by less frequent box clearing. Powerful 125 cc petrol engine easy start can cut through toughest of grass. Compact design makes for easy storage in garage.
Cons: No battery starter, so you have to pull a cord to start. Engine is a lot noisy when compared elsewhere. Petrol engine pollutes the environment so this model is not an environmentally friendly option and another BIG problem is stock availability - especially in peak seasons!
A Quick Comparison Table is outlined below:
|Model||Mow Width||Engine Power||Cut Heights|
|Qualcast Corded Cylinder Lawnmower - 400WModel||32cm||400W||1.8-4.5cm|
|Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1200W||32cm||1200W||2-6cm|
|Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1400W.||37cm||1400W||2-7cm|
|Qualcast Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 1600WModel||40cm||1600W||2-7cm|
|Qualcast 41cm Wide Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower - 125CC.||41cm||125cc||2.5-7.5cm|
|Qualcast Electric Lawnmower - 1800w Motor - 40cm||40cm||1800W||2-7cm|
If you are interested in looking at some of the Best UK mowers, further reviews on some of the Best Lawn mowers in the UK are outlined below that may be of interest to you…
Best UK Petrol mowers – Take a look here
Best UK Corded Mowers – Take a look here
Best UK Cordless Mowers – Take a look here
Best UK Hover Mowers – Take a look here
Best UK Robotic Mowers – Take a look here
Best UK Tractor Ride on Mowers – Take a look here
There are so many lawn mower options available today than ever before as manufacturers recognize consumers want choices. If the selection options now seem overwhelming, begin your deliberation considerations by thinking about power - human, battery, electric or gasoline power, that is. You can provide the pushing effort, or walk behind a self-propelled mower. Your choices should be influenced largely by lawn size and the time and physical effort you are willing to devote to mowing.
Finally budget limits the choices, so go for the best model available within your budget and Qualcast has some very economical models so no problem on that count. The choice is up to you. Qualcast Lawnmowers have a long history. They come in a variety of models to suit your needs. I hope the above reviews were helpful to you to choose the right Qualcast Lawnmower - one of the main problems we came across though is trying to source them as stock availability during peak seasons tends to be very unreliable but Homebase appear to have a better stock from what we have seen. Otherwise check out prices from Mowers Online UK Gloucester instead bellow...
If you purchased and used a Qualcast model please write you own experiences and comments down below in the comments box. This will help other readers like you to choose their lawnmower.
there are no reel type electric lawn mower available, all i find is rotary blade that don’t perform as well.
So that is a serous problem.
Home owner don’t know what is the difference !!! they have no idea…
As well in the USA market.
Qualcast manufactured and used to have those( reel type lawn mowers) a while back available but can not get those electric ones any more, what a petty.
if anyone has a suggestion please forward to me.
I agree – I haven’t seen them on sale either so I’m afraid I don’t have any suggestions for you at present. Hopefully someone else that comes to visit this page may be able to shine some light on this…
26 May 2021 – looked on Homebase website. Sadly they only seem to be selling petrol models of Qualcast. Both I and another relative have only ever bought Qualcast, and as per your review, have always found them excellent. As unavailable, we’re thinking of trying a Hyundai from Robert Dyas.
If you are thinking about Hyundai – then check out a good range from Hyundai Power Equipment UK directly here – they tend to hold a very good stock level from what I see, best of luck though…
Hi,I am looking for direct contact details to the qualcast company itself.I bought a qualcast lawnmower less than 2 years ago and it has been no thing but trouble.
From what I know, Qualcast is only a brand manufactured by someone like Bosch. I would contact Argos Customer service here or Homebase customer service here who both stock this brand and who may be able to help you and point you in the right direction. Apologies that I couldn’t be more helpful. If I was you, I would bring it to a reputable local lawnmower repair company to take a closer look at it. Best of luck
As has been mentioned, ‘Qualcast’ is not an actual company, it’s just a brand. The petrol mower I’ve just bought was advertised heavily as being suitable for upright storage (it’s a system developed by Briggs & Stratton so there’s no leaking of oil & petrol), however, the Qualcast manual says it should only be stored level, or all petrol must be drained before storing upright – trying to get a concise answer from the support site (it’s called CoreService) is just about impossible, there’s no phone system the ‘chat’ system is useless and emails go unreplied. Hopefully it is as reliable as stated in the review because I rather suspect that any sort of warranty claim will be very hard work.
Hi, I would never store a petrol Lawnmower in an upright position – always down flat and fold the handles where possible. Thanks for your feedback – I agree with you, I would also suspect that the warranty would be hard work. Best to stick to reputable suppliers who offer the warranty up front and ideally at store level