After completing several reviews on cordless lawnmowers, we also wanted to complete our review on the McGregor Cordless Lawn mowers to see if they work as well as other leading brands in the market place.
There are 3 main options when it comes to McGregor Cordless rotary lawnmowers namely the lower priced 32cm, the 34cm and the more expensive 37cm and we will outline a comparison table at the end of this page so that you can see each of them side by side when it comes to power levels, dimensions, features, weights and lawn size suitability guides.
View also: Our Cordless Lawnmower reviews here
McGregor Cordless Lawnmower Review – 3 Options
Option 1: McGregor 32cm 21.6V Cordless Lawnmower (MCR2132)
The smallest cordless rotary lawnmower in the McGregor range which also comes with the lowest price tag is the McGregor MCR2132 32cm wide Cordless Lawnmower with a 21.6V 4Ah battery. This lawnmower is the most popular in the range as it offers a great price level for a 4Ah cordless lawnmower and you should be able to get your hands on it for less than £160 when seen at the time of our review.
It is suitable for lawn sizes up to 100 – 120m2 in our opinion and it comes with the 1 hour fast recharging and you can expect to get 25 to 30 minutes runtime before having to recharge the battery once again (depends on grass conditions). There is a smaller number of 5 mow height options available here from 2.5cm up to 6.5cm and it has a lightweight design at just 9kg so it there is no problem when it comes to pushing it around your lawn.
As it so light, it cannot plough through thick overgrown grasses like what petrol lawnmowers can do, so you need to mow more regularly and keep grass heights under control.
The grass box has a capacity of 33 litres which is on the smaller scale but it does have the grass full indicator which is handy to have. You get the rear roller for stripes, the handles can be folded when not in use and it comes backed with their 2 year warranty period
Price Guide: £140 - £160 @ Argos
View also: Multiple Cordless Lawnmower Reviews here
Option 2: McGregor 34cm 21.6V Cordless Lawnmower (CLMF2434A)
The next size up on these cordless lawnmowers is the CLMF2434A McGregor 34cm Cordless Lawnmower with the same 4Ah 21.6V battery and it is suitable for lawn sizes up to 130-150m2 in our opinion. While there is sufficient power in the battery for moderate mowing conditions, you need to mow more regularly and frequently to avoid tougher mowing conditions and longer grasses developing as it can tend to clog up a bit especially with damp long grass.
There are 6 mowing height options to choose from that range from 2.2cm up to 7.2cm and you should start at the higher settings for longer grasses and work your way down to lower mow heights on the next mowing pass. There is no pull recoil cord, mulch plug or side discharge but you get the rear roller and the grass box collection bag that has a storage capacity of 35 litres.
It can mow right to the edges with the EdgeMow design which means less trimming afterwards to give a clean and neater finish. You can expect to get 25 to 30 minutes mowing runtime from the battery and recharging takes around 60 minutes to complete. The handles are foldable and height adjustable and it also backed with a 2 year warranty.
Price Guide: £160 – £180 @ Argos
Option 3, McGregor 37cm 36V Cordless Lawnmower (CLMF4037R)
For a larger and wider cordless lawnmower to suit larger gardens, then you should take a closer look at the CLMF4037R McGregor 37cm wide Cordless Lawnmower with a 36V 4Ah battery which is suitable for lawns up to 170-200m2 in our opinion from what we have seen. While it is more expensive, the wider mowing path and extra power does help you to get the mowing work done quicker so you can get on with other things in your life.
It also has the EdgeMow design for getting closer to the boundaries and edges and the rear roller for generating the lawn stripes (there is no mulch plug or side discharge). You get a longer mowing runtime with this battery of 35 to 45 minutes and it is also recharged in only 1 hour which is plenty sufficient for the average home lawn gardener.
The grass box is also larger at 40 litre capacity and the handles can be adjusted as well as being folded down for tighter storage spaces in your shed. There is also 6 mowing heights that range from 2.2cm to 7.2cm and it also has their 2 year warranty cover.
As it is a bigger lawnmower, the weight is slightly heavier at 11.5kg so bear this in mind when making a final decision but bear in mind also that it works better with its intelligent control for boosting the power in tougher denser grasses.
Price Guide: £200 - £250 @ Argos
View also: Our Corded Lawnmower Reviews here
Pros for the McGregor Cordless Lawnmowers
- Many other cordless brands offer less powerful 2Ah or 2.5Ah batteries yet you get a more powerful 4Ah battery in all of the McGregor Cordless lawnmowers here which is great to see
- You don’t have to worry about power cords, extension cords, fuels, oils, emissions or high maintenance costs for that matter
- Starting these lawnmowers is simple and easy as there is no recoil pull cords, just slot in the battery, press the start button and away you go – plus the handles can be folded down for smaller storage spaces
- You have more freedom with the lawn areas you need to cover as you are not limited to the length of a power cord cable and you have the fast charger for recharging the battery (some chargers can take over 2-3 hours)
- There is a rear roller for generating lawn stripes which are not available in many other cordless lawnmower brands and the price levels on offer are much cheaper than many other brands we have seen
Cons for the McGregor Cordless Lawnmowers
- These cordless lawnmowers are not self-propelled so you need to do all the pushing yourself which is not all that bad anyway due to their lightweight designs
- There are no mulch plug or side discharge options so you are limited to rear collection in the grass bag only – also they are limited to lawn area sizes of up to 100-200m2 in our opinion
- They lack the power to plough through tough mowing conditions, long grass, rough terrain and thick grasses like what petrol lawnmowers can do so you need to mow more frequently instead of letting the grass grow out of control
- If you let the grass grow too long, then the small grass boxes will fill up rather quickly so again you need to get into the habit of more regular and frequent mowing
- Even though there is a rear roller in place, it doesn’t give the lawn stripes like what you seen from heavier petrol lawnmowers that can give a lower, tighter and more defined striped cut
Branded Price Comparisons
View also: Our Robotic Mower Reviews here
McGregor Cordless Lawnmower Comparisons
To add further clarity on these cordless lawnmowers from McGregor, feel free to check out the comparison table below where you can see all the features, mow heights, lawn size guides, weights, dimensions and more side by side.
|McGregor Cordless||McGregor MCR2132||McGregor CLMF2434A||McGregor CLMF4037R|
|Battery||4Ah 21.6V||4Ah 21.6V||4Ah 36V|
|Mow heights||5, 2.5cm – 6.5cm||6, 2.2cm – 7.2cm||6, 2.2cm – 7.2cm|
|Lawn size guide||Up to 100-120m2||Up to 130-150m2||Up to 170-200m2|
|Recharging||1 hour||1 hour||1 hour|
|Battery Runtime||25-30 minutes||25-30 minutes||35-45 minutes|
|Grass box||33L capacity||35L capacity||40L capacity|
|Dimensions||H95 x W35 x D116cm||H95 x W35 x D124cm||H103 x W44 x D118cm|
|Folded dimensions||H63 x W35 x D40cm||H71 x W35 x D33cm||H70 x W44 x D33cm|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
View also: Our Best Lawnmower Lists here
Overall we would have to say that these McGregor Cordless lawnmowers performed a lot better than expected. Some other lower priced brands only supply a 2.5Ah battery but you get a stronger more powerful 4Ah battery with these lawnmowers so they give plenty of mowing runtime and they can be charged quicker than expected (some other brands can take 2 to 3 hours to recharge).
One thing though you need to get into the habit of mowing more regularly instead of letting the grass grow out of control as small electric cordless lawnmowers like these lack the power to plough through tough longer grass mowing conditions like what petrol lawnmowers can do.
That being said, we would have to say that they do offer great value for the money so we would no hesitation in recommending them to the wider public (as long as you are prepared to mow more frequently!)
McGregor Cordless Lawnmower Feedback
Have you ever used any of these McGregor Cordless Lawnmowers in the past? If possible, please share your own opinions and feedback with the wider community by leaving a comment in the comment box section provided below….
- Cub Cadet XT1 LT46 Tractor Mower Review 2023 – Vs XT1 LT50 FAB & XT1 LT42B
- Cub Cadet CC30H Compact Riding Mower Review 2023 – Pros vs Cons
- Cub Cadet SC900 Lawn Mower Review 2023 – Pros & Cons
- Cub Cadet SC500K Lawn Mower Review 2023 – Worth the Money?
- Cub Cadet CC600 & CC800 Lawn Mower Review 2023 – More Power!
- Spear & Jackson Corded Electric Lawnmower Review 2023 – Assembly Tips on
- Spear & Jackson Corded Electric Lawnmower Review 2023 – Assembly Tips on
- PowerSmart Lawnmower Reviews 2023 – Push Vs Self Propelled on
- Cheap Lawnmowers UK 2023 💰 Best Value Brands on
- Stiga Ride on Lawnmower Reviews 2023 – Top Picks on