Hello once again from Paul at Lawn Mower Reviews and here I have reviewed the Sun Joe 16 inch Manual Reel Lawn Mower to provide you with an open and honest overview on everything you need to be aware of before you even consider buying it. Many people have bought this Reel Mower in the past – it has worked for some but has not worked for others so please take a quick look through this review so you can decide for yourself if it will fit your own set of circumstances.
My focus here will be to outline all the important features, the advantages and disadvantages and to also outline some of the common frequently asked questions so have a greater understanding of what is involved, so let’s get started…
Reel Lawn Mower Overview
|Lawn Mower:||Sun Joe 16 Inch Manual Reel MJ500M|
|Width of Mow:||16 inches|
|Cheap Place to Buy:||Amazon - View Low Prices Here|
- Maintenance free Reel Mower
- Nice comfortable foam grip
- Only suitable for small lawns
- Height can be adjusted through 4 different levels (0.79 – 1.81 inch)
- Grass catcher capacity is 6.6 gallons and can be detached easily
- Steels blades x 4
- Wheels x 2 which are 8.8 inches in diameter
- Cuts up to 1.81 inches maximum height
- Size is 53.1 by 22 by 29.5 inches
- Includes a 2-year warranty and the weight of the unit is 22 Ibs
Further images are outlined below…
Some FAQ’s to be Noted:
Q, Can you use it without the grass catcher?
A, Yes but it will leave clippings scattered everywhere
Q, Can it cut long grass?
A, No, Ideally the grass needs to be quite short, otherwise it can be entangled / roll over it
Q, Where is the mower made?
A, It is made in China
Q, Can you fold it up for storage?
A, The handle can be unscrewed if needed and made smaller that way
Q, What are the lowest and highest cutting levels?
A, The lowest id 0.79 inches and the highest is 1.81 inches.
- Environmentally friendly alternative with no gas / oil / fumes
- Extra work involved gives a superior workout and builds upper strength
- Works better when you don’t have to deal with long grass
- No loud noise to deal with
- Cheaper alternative to other models so it is ideal for people on a tighter budget
- At times the mower will skim over the longer grass and the blades don’t turn which creates a lot of frustration
- Ideal only for small green areas with thin grass that is not long
- Blades need to kept sharpened and they tend to get jammed regularly
- Poor at cutting weeds and several attempts are needed to complete it
- Lawns need to be more regularly cut as allowing it to grown too thick or long creates problems
- Long grass can get entangled in the reel making it seize up or get caught up in the axle
- Lacks power to mow thick long grass and can simply knock it and roll over it instead of cutting it
- Grass catcher doesn’t perform as expected and it is a bit flimsy and can become disconnected easily
- In many cases people find it too difficult to cut grass with especially if it is anyway long
- Price is on the high side for what you actually get and you will need to develop a technique to master it.
If you need to consider alternatives, then check out some of the popular recommendations outlined below...
In addition, feel free also to check out various other Sun Joe Lawn mower reviews as follows which may work out better for you in the long run than the Reel Mower:
- Sun Joe Mower Review – Model Corded 12 Amp 16 inch MJ402E – View here
- Sun Joe Mower Review – Model Cordless 28V 14 inch MJ401C – View here
- Sun Joe Lawn Mower reviews – Compilation of 6 different Reviews and Videos – View here
Finally, I would like to thank you sincerely for visiting my website and I would love you hear about your own experiences with reel mowers by leaving a comment below!