Greetings once again and many thanks for taking the time to read our Sun Joe Corded Electric lawn mower review which will cover 3 different models under the Sun Joe brand namely the MJ401E, the MJ402E and the MJ403E so at least you have more than one choice when it comes to making your final decision. We will outline what each of these Electric lawn mowers has to offer you, how they compare against one another plus all the major pros and cons (limitations) associated to each of them which you should know before you make any buying decisions. We will also outline a short comparison table at the end of this page so you can make whatever comparisons you want based on the different features and parameters that interests you the most.
In addition, we will also outline a short list of some frequently asked questions also that has come up in the recent past that should hopefully take care of the main queries that you may have. Before you start, please note that guide prices can only be outlined here at the time of this review as prices can change slightly from week to week depending on local discount activities so please make sure to view the price checkers provided below to ensure you have the most accurate up to date price information.
The content of this review will be outlined in 5 different parts so feel free to skip to whatever part interests you the most…
- Part 1: Brief Overview with FAQ’s
- Part 2: Sun Joe MJ401E Corded Lawn Mower Review – Features, Pros and Cons
- Part 3: Sun Joe MJ402E & MJ403E Corded Lawn Mower Overview
- Part 4: Comparison Table for the MJ401E vs MJ402E vs MJ403E
- Part 5: Alternatives Electric Models to Compare
Part 1: Brief Overview with FAQ’s
|Models:||Corded Electric x 3 - MJ401E, MJ402E & MJ403E|
|Orders online:||Accepted with hassle free home delivery|
|Guide Price:||$100 to $180 (at the time of this review)|
|Cheap Place to Buy:||Amazon – View current stock availability here|
|Warranty:||2-year warranty duration – seller dependant|
Frequently Asked Questions for the Sun Joe Corded Lawn mowers:
Q1. What gauge extension cord should be used for the 12 Amp model?
A1. It is recommended to use a 14-gauge minimum rated extension cord
Q2. What is the maximum length of extension cord that can be used?
A2. The maximum extension cord length that you can use is 100 feet
Q3. What size yard is the MJ401E 14-Inch lawnmower suitable for?
A3. The 14-inch-wide deck model is suitable for yards up to quarter acre or less
Q4. How do you operate with tall grass?
A4. When the mower is struggling with tall grass, stop and lift the lever to the highest setting and tilt it at an angle at a slow speed, once the tall grass is cut, then lower the lever to get a tighter cut on a second pass
Q5. What level of warranty is provided?
A5. A warranty duration of 2 years is included
Q6. Are these lawn mowers self-propelled?
A6. None of these 3 lawn mowers models in this review are self-propelled
View also while you are here – Related Posts
- Greenworks 25112 21-inch 13 Amp lawn mower review - Take a look here
- Remington Reel Lawn Mower review – Take a look here
- Greenworks Corded Lawn Mower Reviews 25142 vs 25012 vs 25022 - Take a look here
Part 2: Sun Joe MJ401E Corded Lawn Mower Review
Sun Joe MJ401E 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
Main Features to Note:
For small yards only max ¼ acre
Operates with a 12 Amp motor
Deck is 14 inches wide
Solid & durable deck
Hard Top grass catcher included
3 different mow height settings
Mow heights of 1.18 to 2.52 inches
Easy push button start system
Rear wheel diameter is 5.5 inches
Single lever height adjustment
Size is 36 by 16 by 38.5 inches
Unit weight is 28 pounds
Quick assembly process
Min 14-gauge extension cord
Max cord length = 100 ft
ETL approved and Warranty is 2 years
Advantages or Pros (5):
- One thing that I really like and you will also is the fact that it has the 2 year warranty and hard-top grass catcher instead of a flimsy fabric type grass catcher which is seen on other brands in this category. The hard top is strong and robust and will certainly last a lot longer which is always good to know
- Instead of having to pull regularly on pull starter cords, you have the easy push button start system which is ideal for people who dislike the idea of pulling starter cords.
- In terms of weight and workability, this is one of the lightest electric lawn mowers that you will come across coming in at less than 30 Ibs which makes the working, pushing and mowing that much easier especially around tight spaces and flower beds.
- When it comes to price, this has been seen as one of the lowest priced options we have come across so it is ideal for people looking for a bargain or one of the best possible price points.
- The noise levels are so much lower than gas lawn mowers, it is an environmentally friendly alternative and you have no ongoing fuels or oil costs to deal with or worry about
Limitations or Cons (5):
- In terms of size, this lawn mower is one of the smallest and narrowest around with its 14-inch deck so you are limited to small yards only up to 1/4 acre where medium size yards would take far too long to complete.
- You are limited to a 100-foot length extension cord, so if your lawn is larger than this, then you should start looking elsewhere – plus it struggles with tough weeds and thick grass and tends to clog up a bit
- The amount of mowing settings is only 3 and is quite limited where you can get up to 7 mow height settings on other models/brands and the reliability of the motor has been less than satisfactory at times
- There is no side discharge or mulching options which other brands can offer so you are limited in terms of cutting options. The grass catcher is also very small and fills up really quickly so there is certainly a lot more stopping and starting with more frequent emptying
- Even though it cuts the grass really well when dry, the power is still way behind what you get when operating a gas lawn mower and multiple trips and double passing can be required to get the desired cutting finish you want so it can actually take you a lot more time than you think to get the job finally finished.
- The price range when last seen at the time of this review was quite low in the $100 to $150 cost range which can be double checked below if you need to take a closer look
Further Images of the Sun Joe MJ401E 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower are outlined below…
Part 3: Sun Joe MJ402E & MJ403E Corded Lawn Mower Overview
An overview of the main features associated with the Sun Joe MJ402E & MJ403E Corded Lawn Mowers are outlined below which include mowing heights, dimensions and grass box capacities
Sun Joe MJ402E 16-inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
For small yards only approx. ¼ acre max
Operated with the 12 Amp motor
Deck is 15 inches wide
Sturdy & durable deck
Hard Top grass catcher included
6 different mow height settings
Mow heights of 1.2 to 3.3 inches
Easy start push button system
Single lever to adjust heights
Size is 38.1 by 17.7 by 38.1 inches
Unit weight is approx. 30.5 pounds
Min 14-gauge extension cord needed
Max cord length allowed is 100 ft
Warranty is also 2 years / ETL approved
Price Guide: $120 to $160
Sun Joe MJ403E 17-inch 13 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
For small to medium type yards
Operated with the 13 Amp motor
Deck is 17 inches wide
Strong & durable deck
Mulching plug option included
7 mow height settings to choose from
Mow heights ranges from 0.98 to 2.87 inches
Easy start push button system
Single lever to adjust heights
Size is 55.1 by 19.7 by 43.3 inches
Unit weight is approx. 31.5 pounds
Grass catcher has a capacity of 12 gal
Safety switch and collapsible handle
Warranty is 2 years also / ETL approval
Price Guide: $130 to $180
Further images of both the Sun Joe MJ402E 12 Amp and the Sun Joe MJ403E 13 Amp are outlined below (4 of each)
Part 4: Comparison Table for the MJ401E vs MJ402E vs MJ403E
To help you compare each of these 3 lawn mowers models from Sun Joe, feel free to take a quick look through the comparison table outlined below where you can make whatever specific comparisons you wish to make yourself across their range of features, weights, power, grass catcher capacity and so on…
|Feature:||Sun Joe MJ401E 14 Inch||Sun Joe MJ402E||Sun Joe MJ403E|
|Mow Heights:||3 settings||6 settings||7 settings|
|Grass catcher:||10.6 gallon capacity||9.3 gallon capacity||12 gallon capacity|
|Mow Height Range:||1.18 to 2.52 inches||1.2 to 3.3 inches||0.98 to 3 inches|
|Main Functions:||Rear only||Rear only||Rear and mulch|
|Unit Weight:||28 Ibs||30.4 Ibs||31.5 Ibs|
|Deck Width:||14 inches||15 inches||17 inches|
|Power Source:||Corded Electric||Corded Electric||Corded Electric|
|Extension Cord:||Not included||Not included||Not included|
|Size:||36 by 16 by 38.5 inches||38.1 by 17.7 by 38.1 inches||55.1 by 19.7 by 43.3 inches|
|Power Level:||12 Amp||12 Amp||13 Amp|
Part 5: Alternatives Electric Models to Compare
If you have reached this point and you are still undecided about any of these 3 Sun Joe Corded Electric lawn mowers, then feel free also to check out 2 further options that may be of interest to you outlined as follows…
Finally, have you any previous experience yourself of using a Sun Joe Corded Lawn mower in the past or even specifically a MJ401E or MJ402E or a MJ403E model?
If so, then please share your thoughts and feedback good or bad with the wider community by leaving your feedback in the comment box section below – So that people across the wider community can learn also!!!