If you are searching online for a Troy-Bilt self-propelled Lawn mower, then you should check out this Troy-Bilt Self Propelled Lawn mower review which outlines the best possible options within this category under the Troy-Bilt brand. They have several Hand Push Lawn mowers available also at lower prices however the focus of this review will be on the Troy-Bilt Lawn mowers that offer the self-propelled speed support only.
View also: Our best Lawn mower lists here
There are 4 brands of Engines used by Troy-Bilt within their self-propelled walk behind lawnmower category and they are Briggs and Stratton, Honda, Kohler and Troy-Bilt itself. At the time of this review, there were no Lawn mowers available with the Troy-Bilt engines and only 1 lawn mower was available with a Honda engine and 1 also with a Kohler engine. So as you can guess, the majority of the Troy-Bilt self-propelled lawn mowers on sale are made using the Briggs and Stratton engines.
Many of the Hand push Troy-Bilt Lawnmowers are made using the Briggs and Stratton 500x/ex 140cc engines but there are more powerful Lawn mowers available within their self-propelled lawn mower category from what we have seen. Yes, they have self-propelled Lawn mowers with 140cc engines but you more choices when it comes to additional and superior power levels.
For example, you can explore self-propelled lawn mowers with 163cc engines, 173cc engines, 190cc engines and also a 223cc engine which is good to see as there are more options available to suit various types of yards and work loads.
View also: Troy-Bilt Gas Push Lawn mower reviews here
Troy-Bilt Self Propelled Lawn Mower Review – Top Picks
#1, Troy-Bilt TB310B XP Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
Our first recommendation is for those of you on a low to mid-sized budget and it’s the Troy-Bilt TB310B XP Self-propelled Lawn mower which gives great mowing results while offering a lower price tag at the same time. Yes there are superior models than this TB310B in the wider range but you get great value for the money right here from what we have seen. It is designed with a 21 inch wide cutting deck, a 4 speed self-propelled transmission, the rear wheel drive system and it comes with a Briggs and Stratton 725 EXi 163cc powered engine
It comes with a 2.3 bushel bag as well as 6 mowing positions that range from 1.25" - 3.75" and these are controlled with the dual levers either side. This engine has the ReadyStart technology so there is no choke or priming to worry about plus you have the option to mulch, rear collect or use the side discharge for less informal areas or long grass. Both the rear and front wheels are 9 inches in diameter and there is a useful wash port for the undercarriage plus it comes covered with a 3 year limited warranty
- Overall, its well-built and offers great value for the amount of money you have to pay
- You have 4 speed transmission rather than just a single speed
- You get the wash port included plus you don’t have to worry about chokes or primers
- The deck is only 21 inches wide, there are wider versions available such as the 23 inch and 28 inch wide cutting decks in the range
- There is no electric starter so you need to use the recoil pull cord and no InStep speed controls
Price Guide: $500 - $550 @ Troy-Bilt
#2, Troy-Bilt TBWC23B XP Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
Our next recommendation is a step up in power levels and it’s the 23 inch Troy-Bilt TBWC23B XP self-propelled Lawn mower which costs slightly more but it offers you significantly more power for difficult mowing conditions and terrain with its Briggs & Stratton 875 Pro 190cc engine. Instead of specific speed settings, this lawn mower has the InStep self-propelled drive system so it works at the pace that suits you the best which can be controlled with the speed control levers on the top handles.
There is no wash port here or side discharge but you still have the option to mulch or rear collect. For people who have difficult slopes, terrain or difficult grass types to deal with, then this powerful lawn mower is the one for you as it makes light work of most mowing jobs from what we have seen. It operates with a rear wheel drive system and there are 6 mow heights that range from 1.25 inch to 3.75 inches for longer grasses.
- Superior 190cc power level and makes difficult mowing work and mowing slopes easy to do
- Works great in medium sized lawns and the wider deck means less mowing paths
- You have the RWD and InStep speed control levers for managing the self-propelled speed support
- Price level is slightly higher than normal and can vary considerably depending on where you look
- There is no wash port and no side discharge options either
- While there is a 3 year home warranty, there are no commercial warranties available
Price Guide: $575 - $625 @ Troy-Bilt
View also: Troy-Bilt TB125B Lawn Mower review
#3, Troy-Bilt TBWC28B Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
Our last recommendation is for those of you who have a much higher level of disposable income available and it’s the Troy-Bilt TBWC28B self-propelled Lawn mower that offers the wider cutting deck of 28 inches and the superior powered Briggs & Stratton PXi 1000 223cc engine which ploughs through all mowing jobs with ease.
To be honest, we were not 100% sure in recommending this Lawn mower today as the price level was far too high in our opinion – hopefully they can make it more affordable in the months ahead as you will need to dig deep into your pockets for this one (too deep in our opinion)
It’s a 3 in 1 mower for the mulching, rear collecting and the side discharge and it has the InStep speed control transmission so it will work at a nice mowing pace that will suit you. As it has the wider deck, it gets the larger yards mowed a lot quicker saving you time and the power under your arms makes light work of difficult grasses, terrain and slopes.
It also has the wash adaptor, a rear wheel drive, 6 mowing heights plus the ReadyStart system which you would expect from the price they are charging. For peace of mind, they offer you their 3 year limited warranty cover.
- Higher tier and higher powered B&S 223cc engine to make light work of difficult mowing tasks
- Performs excellent on difficult slopes and gives a nice clean cut finish and appearance
- Controlling of the speed works at a nice walking pace to suit you and you have the wider cutting deck of 28 inches to mow larger yards at a faster rate
- Price level is on a significantly higher scale so it is only for people with higher levels of disposable income
- No commercial warranties are available
- Difficult to manage on slopes over 15 degrees so you need to develop a technique to control it
Price Guide: $1300 - $1500 @ Troy-Bilt
Troy-Bilt Self Propelled Lawn mower Comparisons
To add further clarity on the features on these self-propelled lawnmowers from Troy-Bilt, feel free to check out the comparison table below where you can see all of the main features side by side
|Deck width||21 inches||23 inches||28 inches|
|Engine model||725 EXi||875 Pro||1000PXi|
|Engine Power||B&S 163cc||B&S 190cc||B&S 223cc|
|Mow heights||1.25" - 3.75"||1.25" - 3.75"||1.25" - 3.75"|
|Speeds||4 speed||InStep variable||InStep variable|
|Grass bag||2.3 bushel||2.5 bushel||2 bushel|
|Oil capacity||15 oz||20 oz||18 oz|
|Front wheels||8 inch||9 inch||8 inch|
|Rear wheel||8 inch||9 inch||10 inch|
|Warranty||3 years||3 years||3 years|
Self-Propelled Drive Systems
There are 3 types of transmission within the Troy-Bilt self-propelled lawnmower range and they are forward wheel drive, rear wheel drive and also all-wheel drive systems. At the time of this review, you have the choice of 4 types of rear wheel drive or 5 types of forward wheel drive self-propelled systems (no all-wheel drive systems were in stock)
Cutting Deck Widths
The majority of the self-propelled gas lawn mowers on sale with Troy-Bilt offer a 21 inch wide mowing cutting deck. There is also limited availability of wider decks in that you can choose a wider 23 inch cutting deck or a 28 inch cutting deck but stock availability of both the 23 inch and 28 inch wider versions tend to be somewhat limited when compared to the 21 inch.
View also: Troy-Bilt Push Lawn mower reviews
After completing this review for the Gas Self Propelled Lawn mowers from Troy-Bilt, we hope our work here has given you a better idea of what they have to offer and the best options to choose from in this mowing category. We have included a detailed comparison table, our top 3 picks to buy and different sized cutting decks be it 21 inches, 23 inches or 28 inches so there should be something here to cater for your own mowing needs.
Which one would we buy? To be honest, the wider TBWC28B is out of our price league so our preference would have to be the TBWC23B outlined earlier and further information along with pricing updates can be double checked at Troy-Bilt below
Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Feedback
Have you any previous experiences of using a self-propelled Gas Troy-Bilt Lawnmower in the past? If possible, please share your own opinions and feedback with the wider mowing community by leaving a comment in the comment box section provided below – so that others can learn also…
- Cub Cadet XT1 LT46 Tractor Mower Review 2023 – Vs XT1 LT50 FAB & XT1 LT42B
- Cub Cadet CC30H Compact Riding Mower Review 2023 – Pros vs Cons
- Cub Cadet SC900 Lawn Mower Review 2023 – Pros & Cons
- Cub Cadet SC500K Lawn Mower Review 2023 – Worth the Money?
- Cub Cadet CC600 & CC800 Lawn Mower Review 2023 – More Power!
- Spear & Jackson Corded Electric Lawnmower Review 2023 – Assembly Tips on
- Spear & Jackson Corded Electric Lawnmower Review 2023 – Assembly Tips on
- PowerSmart Lawnmower Reviews 2023 – Push Vs Self Propelled on
- Cheap Lawnmowers UK 2023 💰 Best Value Brands on
- Stiga Ride on Lawnmower Reviews 2023 – Top Picks on